28g (sub 1.0oz) stove and billy (pot)

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Tony

28g (sub 1.0oz) stove and billy (pot)

Post by Tony » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:22 am

This is my 28gram (0.99 oz) alcohol stove and billy (pot).

The pot is an aluminum can that I picked up at a Deli store and held a Cod fish and vegetable mixture, the handle is made from 1.6mm (1/16”) aluminum welding rod.
The total weight of the billy and handle is 20.8g (0.783oz) and the maximum volume is 380ml (12.85 US Fl oz)

The lid is made from a platter plate that came from my local super market and was made by machining two pieces of wood to desired shape and to match and then pressing the aluminum sheet between the wood pieces.
The weight of the lid with handle is 3.7g (0.13oz)

Total weight of billy with lid is 24.5g (0.86oz)

The stove is machined from a solid bar of aluminum and the priming pan has been machined to be part of the stove.

The stove weighs in at 3.5g (0.123oz) and holds a total volume including priming pan of 12.6 ml (0.43 US fl oz) of alcohol.

The stove is based on the Gram Wheenie from George Carr’s End2End Trail supplies

Testing

Initial test: I filled the stove with 10g(3.5oz)/12.6ml (0.43 US fl oz) of alcohol which included the priming pan, lit the stove and it took 6m 17s to boil 350ml (11.83US fl oz) of water from 23ºC (73.4F) to boiling, the billy was removed and the stove was extinguished and then reweighed, 3 g (0.1oz)/3.8ml (0.13 US fl oz) of fuel was left.
A total of 7g 9).247oz) /8.8 ml (0,3US fl oz) of alcohol was used.

Tony

Skidsteer

Re: 28g (sub 1.0oz) stove and billy (pot)

Post by Skidsteer » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:21 am

Nice looking kit!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:22 am

Really nice Tony. I like the way you incorporated the primer pan as part of the stove. I like the DIY lid also, looks like it fits well, good job.

It looks to be very fuel efficient initially 8.8ml, thats like 1/4 oz. wow!!!. Does a slight breeze have a tendency to make the flame drift away easlily? (are thejets producing a high or low pressure/volume?)

Did you choose the fish can just because it was available or was it because it is the size that matches the amount of water used for your personal needs. I usually use 4 cups of water at meal time :) 2 for food and two for drinking(480ml + 480ml)

You've gone the extra mile to make the wood forms for compressing the sheet aluminum to make the lid and to machine the stove from a solid bar of aluminum. I highly recommend you enter your stove an billy in the "Stove of the Month club" :) You do exceptionally nice work!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks Skid and Zelph for your comments,

Did you choose the fish can just because it was available or was it because it is the size that matches the amount of water used for your personal needs. I usually use 4 cups of water at meal time 2 for food and two for drinking(480ml + 480ml)

You are right it is a bit small it was chosen because it was the only reasonable sized light weight aluminum can that I could find after many months of looking, ideally I would have liked to find a 500ml + size can but that has eluded me, but I am always looking, like most stove designers I am always on the lookout for items to use in my stove designs. I also liked the pot over say a beer can pot because it has a larger diameter and gives much better efficiency with the Gram Wheenie stove.

t looks to be very fuel efficient initially 8.8ml, thats like 1/4 oz. wow!!!. Does a slight breeze have a tendency to make the flame drift away easlily?

The stove was only finished yesterday and I have only ran one measured test in an air conditioned environment, I have been playing around with this stove design for a few weeks now so I could sort out the smallest stove size possible for the pot. The flame does seem to be affected by a breeze and I have plans for a suitable windscreen.

(are thejets producing a high or low pressure/volume?)

I have no idea if the jets are producing high or low pressure/volume and I am not quite sure how to work it out, I will have to get out my Engineering Thermodynamics books.

I highly recommend you enter your stove an billy in the "Stove of the Month club"

I will enter the stove.

Tony

samh

Post by samh » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:12 pm

Wow, not only is a stove created from one piece of milled aluminum very cool, the fact that it AND the pot weigh only 28g! Wonderful!