wick design problem----how to keep the ends from unraveling?

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
stevebo

wick design problem----how to keep the ends from unraveling?

Post by stevebo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 pm

I would like to use fiberglass mat or somthing similar for an alcohol stove design. How do I keep the ends from unraveling? due to the design, I cant fold the ends over, any ideas?

DarenN

Re: wick design problem----how to keep the ends from unraveling?

Post by DarenN » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:38 pm

cutting the cloth on the bias might work. depends on what you are trying to make it do. ;)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 pm

You can buy fiberglas tape with finished edges that do not unravel. You just have to deal with the ends. Fiberglas cloth like what is used for auto repair unravels everywhere. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Ridgerunner wrote: Fiberglas cloth like what is used for auto repair unravels everywhere. :roll:
it's used in boat building also. it doesn't unravel when it's cut on the bias, but if the piece is too small, the strands will pull out quite easily.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Use super glue sparinglyor translucent scotch tape. The tape will burn off and blend in, won't interfere with it's function. Fuse/melt the ends with a micro torch.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:38 pm

As zelph said,you can fuse the edges with a torch or holding it for awhile over a candle.It takes more than you think it would to melt the edges.If you want nylon strapping/rope to stop unravelling..melt the ends the same way.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

stevebo

Post by stevebo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:31 pm

Zelph, will the super glue also burn off? Interesting idea.....................................

lite hiker

Post by lite hiker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 pm

i fuse the ends like zelph said but before i did that i used to put little copper strands around it and used them like twist ties to hold it. They frayed a little but not that bad.
Ask a stupid question Get a stupid answer.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:49 am

stevebo wrote:Zelph, will the super glue also burn off? Interesting idea.....................................
It depends on it's end use. If it has direct contact with flame it will eventually become history. I've seen it used on stoves that have 1/8" wick material wrapped around the stove to be used as a "Primer wick" In that application direct flame hits it. I'm not sure how those applications are holding up. Maybe someone out there can give us some input on that.

Primer wick and primer pans :lol: sorry, had to stick that in. I'm not in favor of such applications. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/