Cyclone Stoves: Part 1

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

Re: Cyclone Stoves: Part 1

Post by DarenN » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:15 pm

just tinkering wrote:I hope that you are having as much fun as I am. I am not sure what material a Fancy Feast can is made of but, I am having my best success with thin steel cans. Keep on burning!

Jon
the FF cans are light aluminum. not as light as a beer can; but close.

what i was leaning towards was reproducing your results while lightening the load. i think the next step should be to incorporate all the parts into one unit. with the burner being part of the, lets call it "Turbine", and said Turbine being also the potstand.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:17 pm

You guys're giving me ideas I might just be able to work with. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Yes!!!! now incorporate it all into one unit. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

roob

Post by roob » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:59 am

That looks well cool!

What happens if you have any breeze disturbing either the air flow in or the flame?

Roob

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:42 pm

I wonder if the cyclone effect could be produced using a cone shaped thin stainless steel outer portion? It would be neat to see if by modifying the holes and/or adding more holes if you get that kind of convection. I have some really thin cups that I could put more holes in for fun. As it is the holes and shape typically produce a very strong updraft. Maybe the cyclone could produce a slightly less wind affected flame with a pot on?

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm watching and listening with great anticipation :D I like "vortex"

Last night it was windy and a light snow coming down. At a small strip mall the wind was creating small snow tornados next to and around the brick support columns infront of the stores. It was the best!!!!! :D snow vortex on display........reminded me of stoves :P
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

roob

Post by roob » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:30 pm

my mind is thoroughly on these stoves atm!

Its really annoying I left my camera at my parents house, I cant post any pics/vids of the fluidised beds ive been making! I have got a good design for getting the powder fluidised and spinning when I blow from underneath, I now need to experiment on how much draft the burning actually causes, and I really hope it is enough to overcome the pressure drop through the particles!

Roob

roob

Post by roob » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:39 am

Yes, you are right, that is one of the things I am concentrating on getting right. Here are the things I see as the most important variables to manage:

1) size of holes in and out (remembering that there is more coming out than going in... -ve accumulation)
2) the depth of the particle bed, and the approximate size of the partices (these relate to pressure drop through the bed)
3) actually getting the stove to start in the first place.

I am still to get my hands on some coal to see about the burning, but I have been doing experiments with flour, sugar and salt to see how to get the airflow right!

Anyone else got any comments? It is going to take a long time of development I feel, because it is quite intricate to make, and very temperamental at the moment!

Roob

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:27 am

When thinking vortex, the first thing I would do is to forget about drilling round holes - completely forget it. Cut vertical (or near vertical) SLITS - then expand those slits into tangential air pathways (or slightly downward pointing and tangential). Much more guidance surface to cause the air to flow tangentially. You might also think about the same for the exit vents.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:03 pm

there's a couple of really hot ideas!!
slits, instead of holes, is brilliant!
the fine particles are the ignition, and the coarse particals are the engine. what a neat idea! :mrgreen:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast