Small low profile canister stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Tony

Small low profile canister stove

Postby Tony » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:42 pm

This is one of my canister stoves, a SUL low profile side feed remote canister stove that is designed so it can be used with a windshield or the pot supports can be removed so it can fit under a Caldera cone.

The stove is still in its early development and is a concept that I have been working on for a few months the stove still needs some tuning.

The canister is a small Butane canister that fits into the Firelite 550 pot along with the stove. The total weight of the stove, canister (empty), windshield (end2end Trail Supply) and pot+bag is currently 136.8g (4.825oz), the canister can hold up to 30g (1.058oz) of fuel, which can boil 3liters of water. The pot sits 36mm (1.417”) off the ground on pot supports that are at 25mm (0.984”) radius and. The stove feet fold under the mixing tube so it can be packed away into a small bag.

The stove and valve with pot supports weigh in at 42.5g (1.5oz) and without the pot supports 39.4g (1.39oz).

Tony

Ridgerunner

Re: Small low profile canister stove

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:56 pm

Very nice, Tony ! Clean looking design. How many times would you be able to boil 2 cups of water with the mini cannister ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Tony

Postby Tony » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Hi Ridgerunner,

You would get about 6 x 2 cups to boil but I can also use STD canisters as I have made a series of valves to fit.

Tony

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:27 pm

Small low profile canister. I don't think they get any better than this one. Tony has gone above and beyond the orientals. The land of OZ has a home grown winner :D

Another look at this little gem, way to go Tony

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:36 pm

No need to even enter a December stove :lol: Just too nice ;) MSR has nothing on Tony!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:02 pm

Tony, what is the start-up procedure? Is the fuel canister in the upright position for starting until the tube extending into the flame circle gets hot to vaporise the liquid fuel when the canister is laying on it's side?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Tony

Postby Tony » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi Zelph and Ridgerunner,

Thanks for your nice comments about my stove. I will not be entering it in the December stove of the month as I just wanted to share it with the bplite community.

Tony, what is the start-up procedure? Is the fuel canister in the upright position for starting until the tube extending into the flame circle gets hot to vaporise the liquid fuel when the canister is laying on it's side?

I can tune the stove to be upright canister or liquid feed and I found that on such a small stove it is best to use it as it is tuned (The expansion of the gas from liquid form is about 200-250 times which makes it very hard to adjust) when it is tuned for liquid feed the start up procedure is still 'turn on and light' whilst there is a small bit of flare-up at the start the pre-heat tube heats up very quickly and therefore vaporizing the gas very early on. I am going to take it on by walking/fishing trip starting tomorrow and I will use it as a liquid feed.

Tony

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:24 pm

That is one sweet stove! I love it.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”