wicki stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
bmike

wicki stove

Postby bmike » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:58 pm

not sure if it has been done before - but took the concept of the ion and the turbo tea lite and added wicks.
container is 2 wedding tins, similar to ion construction.
wick is 1/16" fiberglass material - slides into the jet holes. i think 1/8" might last a little longer and burn a little nicer... but i don't have any.
pull out more wick for a fast, hotter burn, push the wick down for a mellow burn.
boil water on 'high'. blow out stove and push wick all the way down. relight for a simmer.

playing with the ideal # of wicks and layout.
added an inner wall that lets fuel flow to the wicks in the exterior.
need to test more - but last night i was seeing 2 cup cold water boils on 3/4 oz fuel. should be able to get it to 1/2 oz fuel - but its 35 deg in my garage and i keep recycling the water - it sat overnight...! with some testing should be able to optimize for my pot size, center hole, and # of wicks and placement.

the version with 4 pair of jet / wick holes seems to be the most adaptable.
also i've found for wickitizing stoves it helps to indent the bottom of the wedding tins. i set the bottom over a piece of pvc and use a pvc end cap (slightly roundish) to put a round indent into the bottom. this helps roll the fuel to the outer wall. it also allows the inner wall / tin to snug up and index on something - keeping everything centered.

ran a few variations with plumbers cloth inside to absorb fuel. another version without the inner wall. not discernible yet as to which way works best.
lights fine with cold alky, cold stove, cold tile, in a cold garage.

also played with covering the fill hole after getting the fuel in, and using a smaller fuel port.
awaiting my threaded insert tool - i think i'll use the threaded inserts to allow easier sliding in of replacement wicks - also to allow easier adjustments.
also awaiting some al. bottles i found online with a screw top lid. might make this work well - eliminate the center hole. unscrew the lid, fill, screw tight, and light the wicks.

bmike

Re: wicki stove

Postby bmike » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:01 pm

one more burn:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:32 pm

Man they really look neat. NASA inspired. They look space worthy :)

Indenting the bottoms is a great idea. Keeps the fuel on the outer area really nice.. Good idea.

Lots of variation, I like that. The more things you try, the more you/we learn. Working with wick is rewarding and fun.

Nice flame pattern on that morphed turbion. Looks like it would boil 2cups in 4.5 using a 2cup aluminum pot 5 inch in diameter.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:40 pm

zelph wrote:Man they really look neat. NASA inspired. They look space worthy :)

Indenting the bottoms is a great idea. Keeps the fuel on the outer area really nice.. Good idea.

Lots of variation, I like that. The more things you try, the more you/we learn. Working with wick is rewarding and fun.

Nice flame pattern on that morphed turbion. Looks like it would boil 2cups in 4.5 using a 2cup aluminum pot 5 inch in diameter.

them wick stove work but it slow to boil i got one all made and the windscreen and all goes in it self as one with lid i was saving it for the Jan. stove of the mouth dam plus the wick can go up or down so can simmer plus mine water cooled so it dont boil over the alcohol it gets hot with the wind screen
Man play with fire man get burnt

bmike

Postby bmike » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:55 pm

zelph wrote:Nice flame pattern on that morphed turbion. Looks like it would boil 2cups in 4.5 using a 2cup aluminum pot 5 inch in diameter.

boiled 2 cold cups in my tall sp 700 in 6:30 - so a wider al. pot would make it quicker.

turbion... i like it. is that taken?
wickion also works.

bmike

Postby bmike » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:58 pm

oops56 wrote:
them wick stove work but it slow to boil i got one all made and the windscreen and all goes in it self as one with lid i was saving it for the Jan. stove of the mouth dam plus the wick can go up or down so can simmer plus mine water cooled so it dont boil over the alcohol it gets hot with the wind screen

i made a water cooled version too - but found that adjusting the wick works too.
to do the water cooled version i just floated it on a shallow tin full of water.
slowed the burn down and kept things nice and cool.

the version i made with the small aluminum tube holding the wick works well to cool things down too. moving the wick super short or up and away from the center hole (so long as it it contained and can't burn) seems to keep the flame in check.

i've been playing with this in my diy caldera and also with a conventional windscreen.
true - it does heat up in there... but i'm not sure if that is a bad thing just yet with this stove.

bmike

Postby bmike » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:00 am

zelph wrote:Man they really look neat. NASA inspired. They look space worthy :)

:)

zelph wrote:Indenting the bottoms is a great idea. Keeps the fuel on the outer area really nice.. Good idea.

just something i thought would help get the fuel moving to the correct parts of the stove.
works well on an ion, turbo tea lite, etc.

zelph wrote:Lots of variation, I like that. The more things you try, the more you/we learn.

i'm out of wedding tins though! need to restock!
so many ideas. so many failures.
so much fun!

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:02 am

Burns like a freakin' blow torch!

Cinch those wicks down flat to the top for grins.

Nice work!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:15 am

Dam its cold in the shop so i did not fire it up. The stove is jb weld to the out side can at bottom. The big can is filled half way so the stove don't over heat and the flames don't come out the fill holes the pot stands and windscreen all fit inside and a cat food cover goes on.the wick goes up and down for hi heat or simmer got no time test yet or forgot must get book write all this down

Man play with fire man get burnt

bmike

Postby bmike » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:37 am

Skidsteer wrote:Burns like a freakin' blow torch!

Cinch those wicks down flat to the top for grins.

Nice work!

thanks. that image reminds me of this...

something i've been working on. needs optimization. currently runs hot and inconsistent. i've boiled 2 cups on 3/4 oz. in 4:30. need to refine and test.

can for the body - but i plan a smaller version from a wedding tin.
interior is a rolled piece of flashing set as a pot stand and chokes off the internal air... it also funnels the fuel to the exterior.
wick is plumbers cloth spiral wrapped in fiberglass cloth.

burns really nicely - i just need to settle it down and control it a bit. might need to make the pot stand a little bit taller.
it quiets down a bit once the pot is placed.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”