pot stands

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
bmike

pot stands

Postby bmike » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:19 pm

i have a garage full of bike parts... so i made some new potstands that fold flat.

recycled bike spokes, some al. tube from ace.
playing with orientation and size.

you can pick up old spokes from bike shops, or even buy new ones for pretty cheap. should be able to find old wheels @ thrift stores.
you can find them in many guages, in stainless, alloy, kevlar, and carbon fiber.
i think these are stainless. they are from some wheels that date to the late 90's.

in experimenting i found that the spoke nipple acts like a nut to put pressure on the al. tubing and keep everything together. i cut the tubing nearly the same length as the leg, slid it on, and tightened the nipple. the nipples can also be adjusted (prior to using with a stove - the heat tends to gum up the threads if they have spoke prep on them) to level the pot - in case you bent or cut the legs wrong. a standard nipple should be able to correct for 1/16" or slightly more of error.

when creating a tripod with the points down i found that using a full length of tubing works best as the tubing heats up and the 'lock' will slide down.
when creating a tripod with the points up (under the pot) - a short length of tubing can be used for the 'lock' - giving a visual reminder on where the stand comes apart to fold.

you could also create a 4 legged version.
these fold flat and fit into my pots.
the small one works with both pots - snow peak 700 and snow peak 1400 (although i need to be a bit careful with the large pot on the small stand)

zelph

Re: pot stands

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:44 pm

That's nice!!!! great to be able to recycle stuff thats laying around left over from something that you've used in another way. Makes ya feel good. Makes ya feel green. :mrgreen:

The spokes make a geat lookin stand. Another NASA moon lander theme :) I like the little pads on the ends of the spokes. Are the spokes from standard/common grade wheels?

Are they about 1/16 inch in diameter?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bmike

Postby bmike » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:05 am

zelph wrote:That's nice!!!! great to be able to recycle stuff thats laying around left over from something that you've used in another way. Makes ya feel good. Makes ya feel green. :mrgreen:

The spokes make a geat lookin stand. Another NASA moon lander theme :) I like the little pads on the ends of the spokes. Are the spokes from standard/common grade wheels?

Are they about 1/16 inch in diameter?

+/- 1/16 in diameter.
these were from a mid range sport racing bike in the 90's.
average spokes for sure.

adjust the diameter of the aluminum tubing to fit 2 spokes, depending on how thick the spokes are.
i have some really thick spokes that i might make into a heavy pot stand - something for your 6 cup coffee pot... ;)

iceclimber1973

Postby iceclimber1973 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:47 pm

bmike:

What is the weight of the stand?

bmike

Postby bmike » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:02 pm

iceclimber1973 wrote:bmike:

What is the weight of the stand?

don't know. i'll weigh it next chance i get at the post office.
this would change if i used alloy spokes, straight gauge or double butted, etc.

these are stainless, and relatively thick, so probably heavier than it can be.

BackpackerGuy

Re: pot stands... has anyone seen this before?

Postby BackpackerGuy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:37 pm

I came across this at Home Depot this weekend.
I found it in the Aluminum / Vinyl Gutter section in Building materials area.

It is an "Expanded Aluminum Gutter Strainer".

It truly is light weight, has an 'accordian-type' flexibility to it,
can expand and contract with minimal manipulation to fit various pot sizes,
you can shape it to you liking,
will fit inside a Heineken pot (both sizes),
strong enough to hold pot with 2 cups of water,
but the drawback is it's price.... it retails for $1.29 + tax . :o

Comments welcome and expected.

Enjoy!
BackpackerGuy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:10 pm

It will quickly deteriorate after a few times being heated by the flames of your stove. It happened to me :o I was disappointed because it was so light weight. The same thing happens with gutter protecting mesh. The stuff that's used to keep leaves out of the gutter. In the bottom photo it even says "not for stove use" on the very bottom of the box in spanish and french. ;)

CajunHiker

Postby CajunHiker » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:50 pm

Allright, I've got a question to throw in... I've got a grill from an old toaster oven. Before I "liberate it" to a new life, I thought I'd check in to see if there were some good ideas already floating about. Thanks.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:10 pm

CajunHiker wrote:Allright, I've got a question to throw in... I've got a grill from an old toaster oven. Before I "liberate it" to a new life, I thought I'd check in to see if there were some good ideas already floating about. Thanks.

I used a piece of a basket as a grille for my wood burning Globe stove. Could also have made a pot stand out of it. I used a section cutout from one of our campfire grilling thingys that open up, put steaks or gurgers between the two halves, close and lock with sliding gizmo. It has long handle for holding over campfire.

I say measure twice :D and liberate the grille ( ask your wife first) important

CajunHiker

Postby CajunHiker » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:06 pm

zelph wrote:I say measure twice :D and liberate the grille ( ask your wife first) important

She's the one that threw it out. It's been in the garage for a while (I'm a packrat. shhhhh.)

The grill is rectangular in shape, just a normal toaster oven grill. I'd like to see if I can contort it to use as a pot stand or grill. Maybe even rig it up as a suspended system?

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”