pot stands

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
CajunHiker

Re: pot stands

Postby CajunHiker » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:09 pm

I've also got an old travel umbrella that looks like it may have some interesting parts to cannibalize. Anyone ever done that?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:18 pm

CajunHiker wrote:
zelph wrote:I say measure twice :D and liberate the grille ( ask your wife first) important

She's the one that threw it out. It's been in the garage for a while (I'm a packrat. shhhhh.)

The grill is rectangular in shape, just a normal toaster oven grill. I'd like to see if I can contort it to use as a pot stand or grill. Maybe even rig it up as a suspended system?

Do the liberation liborator, your cleared for go. We look forward to the end product. :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:21 pm

CajunHiker wrote:I've also got an old travel umbrella that looks like it may have some interesting parts to cannibalize. Anyone ever done that?

I've cannabalized one and have the parts waiting on me to be inspired. Like you said, it has interesting parts and will surly make an interesting something. :)

Jason Ramer

Postby Jason Ramer » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:11 pm

Hay I havent read everything here about potstands but have you considered 22 bullet shell on the end caps this is what i use and then take a plier and squeeze the end to hold it in place and works really well

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:07 pm

Jason Ramer wrote:Hay I havent read everything here about potstands but have you considered 22 bullet shell on the end caps this is what i use and then take a plier and squeeze the end to hold it in place and works really well

That's a great idea, plus they come in different lengths. Use a crimping tool they use for solderless terminals for a good crimp that will hold tight. Thanks for your imput, good one.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Hay I havent read everything here about potstands but have you considered 22 bullet shell on the end caps this is what i use and then take a plier and squeeze the end to hold it in place and works really wellJason Ramer

Jason, I made a triangular one for a grease pot. Got the idea from a web page last year. If that was your design, thanks, worked great and got some good comments on the trail. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:48 pm

Did some one say pot stand this tinny's copy easy one

Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:52 pm

here's one i came up with the other day.
with the Trangia gas burner:

Trangia alcohol burner:

Sir Zelph's Starlite burner:

packed size 4 1/4" round. hieght depends on burner carried. as little as two inches.

there's a pailfull of other burners that can work with this stand. pretty much any burner that works best with a potstand with an overall height of 1 1/2" to 3 1/2".

DarenN........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:15 pm

Nice and easy DIY design, Daren. Thanks for sharing! :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:30 pm

something i've been meaning to mention.
the welded wire mesh i use is stainless steel.
as a long-time metal worker and welder i'm very careful about heating anything coated with a galvanizing process. the zinc used in galvanizing burns at quite a low temp and creates a gas called fosgene (sp?). it's a nerve toxin and was used in making the trench gases used in WW1. i've gotten too much (from welding galvanized sheet) a time or two over the years. it's not enjoyable!!

DarenN.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”