New Stover to the board

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
CajunHiker

Re: New Stover to the board

Postby CajunHiker » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Oh, but the jets are so purdy.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:27 pm

CajunHiker wrote:Oh, but the jets are so purdy.

It was a long shot, a weak maybe I really did'nt think so. But!!! hey, nothing ventured nothing gained.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

CajunHiker

Postby CajunHiker » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:35 pm

This is from my camera phone, so take it as such. Also the first one I build was trimmed down closer to the second cap, and the cap had no hole.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:43 pm

Thats cool!!!! Progress is getting you closer to final product. What is your next move? :D

Second photo is much better, thumbs up :mrgreen:

CajunHiker

Postby CajunHiker » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Well, since it's pretty easy to change out the burner caps, I'll probaly see how various numbers of center holes perform. I'll also try to a dime to act as a pressure valve and see how much that effects the stove. Like I said, my biggest gripe right now is the dying effect after the first minute. Once the stove get hot, it burns fine.

bmike

Postby bmike » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:01 pm

CajunHiker wrote:Well, since it's pretty easy to change out the burner caps, I'll probaly see how various numbers of center holes perform. I'll also try to a dime to act as a pressure valve and see how much that effects the stove. Like I said, my biggest gripe right now is the dying effect after the first minute. Once the stove get hot, it burns fine.

take some 1/16" fiberglass wick and wrap is around the ripple at the lower cap.
use this as a primer wick.

looks like a cool little stove!

bmike

Postby bmike » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:06 pm

CajunHiker wrote:Well, since it's pretty easy to change out the burner caps, I'll probaly see how various numbers of center holes perform. I'll also try to a dime to act as a pressure valve and see how much that effects the stove. Like I said, my biggest gripe right now is the dying effect after the first minute. Once the stove get hot, it burns fine.

for a variable pressure stove i've used a binder bolt for the pressure valve. you never loose it like a penny or dime! put a notch in it to lift out of the way to fill.

for the jets - can you just play with the crimps? maybe use needle nose pliers and a small file. pull the crimp in a bit and file out behind it so the crimp acts as a jet where is doesn't seal?

re: height of outer bottle - depending on how your jets are aimed this can act to provide feedback to the stove. there is a sweet spot between cutting off oxygen and also allowing the jets to heat the stove body. cut off too much and you get plenty of air to the jets and a fast burn - but the jets don't warm the stove. cut off too little and you'll have a slow burner - but it will grow hotter as the jets (if they shoot up near the crimps) will warm the outer bottle and help vaporize fuel.

also - adding a tight fitting windscreen and heat reflector under the stove will increase this feedback mechanism. i've built many a stove that work great out in the open - and turn into blow torches in a windscreen :?

CajunHiker

Postby CajunHiker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:55 pm

I got a couple of good burns last night with my first BNC, neck trimmed closer to cap, no wicking, no filling hole in cap.
To light, burner cap is removed, neck filled with fuel, burner cap is replaced, stove is lit.
Here's what the flame pattern looks like, the pot is a 12oz Heiniken.
BNC Stove Prototype

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:03 pm

CajunHiker wrote:I got a couple of good burns last night with my first BNC, neck trimmed closer to cap, no wicking, no filling hole in cap.
To light, burner cap is removed, neck filled with fuel, burner cap is replaced, stove is lit.
Here's what the flame pattern looks like, the pot is a 12oz Heiniken.
BNC Stove Prototype

Job well done CajunHiker!!!!! it looks like it's doing just fine. Burn rate is even and not radical. Turned out just great.

I like the color of the flame coming out from under the cap and the way it looks bright in that area. super idea!!!!!You are sure to become a STOVIE :D

Now for the pot stand, what kind of pot stand are you thinking of using?

CajunHiker

Postby CajunHiker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:18 pm

Thanks for words of encouragement. I am still having problems with the lower cap gasket failing, thus leading to an uncontrolled inferno.
I was thinking to make this a mini cook kit, so I'd want the stand to nest inside of the tiny Heini. I've got piece of aluminum bottle and was thinking of doing a stand/windscreen of of it.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”