New Stover to the board

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: New Stover to the board

Post by zelph » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:28 pm

CajunHiker wrote:Thanks for words of encouragement. I am still having problems with the lower cap gasket failing, thus leading to an uncontrolled inferno.
I was thinking to make this a mini cook kit, so I'd want the stand to nest inside of the tiny Heini. I've got piece of aluminum bottle and was thinking of doing a stand/windscreen of of it.

The next bottle of product should be cut in it's mid section and contents allowed to drain then proceed to finish cutting. The cap remains in its factory closed state. Cut the top to your required length. Get some JB weld epoxy and put some inside the stove to seal the cap from the inside.

The bottle remains could be made into a "Castle" style potstand. Measure the distance that you are using on your stove top to determin height of pot stand.

You're doing just fine. Keep us updated. :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

CajunHiker

Post by CajunHiker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:37 pm

Thanks Zelph. I would think applying JB to the existing setup may suffice, will have to try.
I also came across a power cylinder used for roofing nail guns that looks to be close to the diameter of the bottle cap. Since the walls are straight and not tapered, I should get a little more fuel capacity. And since the bottom is already sealed I won't have to worry about leakage. Of course, I'll have to come up with another name. :?:

CajunHiker

Post by CajunHiker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:35 pm

bmike wrote:for a variable pressure stove i've used a binder bolt for the pressure valve. you never loose it like a penny or dime! put a notch in it to lift out of the way to fill.

Binder bolt? Whats dat?

bmike wrote:for the jets - can you just play with the crimps? maybe use needle nose pliers and a small file. pull the crimp in a bit and file out behind it so the crimp acts as a jet where is doesn't seal?

Not sure what you're saying here. The existing crimps are already acting as jets.

bmike wrote:re: height of outer bottle - depending on how your jets are aimed this can act to provide feedback to the stove. there is a sweet spot between cutting off oxygen and also allowing the jets to heat the stove body. cut off too much and you get plenty of air to the jets and a fast burn - but the jets don't warm the stove. cut off too little and you'll have a slow burner - but it will grow hotter as the jets (if they shoot up near the crimps) will warm the outer bottle and help vaporize fuel.

My taller second stove never performed as good as the first, so I trimmed it down to just above the burner cap.

bmike wrote:also - adding a tight fitting windscreen and heat reflector under the stove will increase this feedback mechanism. i've built many a stove that work great out in the open - and turn into blow torches in a windscreen :?

Yep, I used a combo windscreen/stand made from the same alum beer bottle, and it did try to go into overdrive. I'll add more air flow & try again. I'll also see if I can find some small hardware cloth to make a tiny Heiny stand.

bmike

Post by bmike » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:59 pm

CajunHiker wrote:Binder bolt? Whats dat?

something like this:

i've used small ones (1/4" long or so) to act as a pressure valve on modified penny stoves.
if you need access to a fill hole, cut a slot halfway into the sleeve and slide it over a portion of the stove for filling. then tap it back in before you light. it stays in the stove - no worries about losing it.

CajunHiker wrote:Not sure what you're saying here. The existing crimps are already acting as jets.

OK. I didn't understand how it was working. i thought you were drilling jets...! :?

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:00 pm

[quote="bmikeif you need access to a fill hole, cut a slot halfway into the sleeve and slide it over a portion of the stove for filling. then tap it back in before you light. it stays in the stove - no worries about losing it.
:?[/quote]

How is your binding bolt fastened to the stove so you don't lose it? If you turn the stove upside down won't it fall out.

bmike

Post by bmike » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:11 pm

zelph wrote:
bmike wrote:if you need access to a fill hole, cut a slot halfway into the sleeve and slide it over a portion of the stove for filling. then tap it back in before you light. it stays in the stove - no worries about losing it.
:?

How is your binding bolt fastened to the stove so you don't lose it? If you turn the stove upside down won't it fall out.

drill a hole for the post diameter. (i use 1/4" to make is sloppy - your posts might be different sized)
assemble after inserting the post through the hole.
the heads are bigger than the center - so it can't come out unless the threads come undone.

on some designs it helps to flatten the center area a bit where the bolt will go - this will help the bolt 'seal' the opening.
i've also used brass bolts - they are a bit heavier and help build the pressure before they 'release'

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:35 pm

bmike wrote:
zelph wrote:
bmike wrote:if you need access to a fill hole, cut a slot halfway into the sleeve and slide it over a portion of the stove for filling. then tap it back in before you light. it stays in the stove - no worries about losing it.
:?

drill a hole for the post diameter. (i use 1/4" to make is sloppy - your posts might be different sized)
assemble after inserting the post through the hole.
the heads are bigger than the center - so it can't come out unless the threads come undone.

on some designs it helps to flatten the center area a bit where the bolt will go - this will help the bolt 'seal' the opening.
i've also used brass bolts - they are a bit heavier and help build the pressure before they 'release'

Ahh yes!!! you were refering to the 2 piece penny stove. The lightbulb :idea: just went on and nowI can see :D I was thinking of the funny stove I made with a fancy feast cat food can that I emptied the cat food out through a 1/2 inch hole. The lid was never removed. It was like a one piece penny stove :lol:
Image Latest production version.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:57 pm

I like this concept of jets. Keep working with this one Cajunhiker. I like the way those jets go upward.

CajunHiker

Post by CajunHiker » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:40 am

My next version will be using a Paslode fuel cell. The inner diameter is slightly larger than the un-altered bottle cap, but a gentle bending of cap makes for a nice fit. I'll probably increase fuel capacity to 1 oz and see how it goes. I'll eliminate the potential leak problems of the lower bottle caps. Since the wall diameter is constant, I'll now have to devise a method to keep the burner bottle cap at the desired height. My first thought is to drill a hole in the cap, and then thread a long stove bolt through. The end of the bolt would drop to the bottom of the tube thus holding the burner cap at a set height. Coming soon PBC Stove (Paslode Bottle Cap Stove)
This isn't the exact one I've got, but I think they're pretty much the same.

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:39 am

I love wathcing stove evolution, lol! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"