Locking Lid for Kmart Grease Pot

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Locking Lid for Kmart Grease Pot

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:14 pm

Those of you that are considering using a Kmart Grease Pot as your cooking pot may want to add this lid locking feature. A twist of the lid will secure it in place to allow for lifting the hot pot off the stove. This locking lid should be of great help to those considering the use of the cone pot support for the grease pot. It would make it easy to lift the pot off the cone.

I used a Dremel rotory hand tool with abrasive cutoff wheel to cut the slots in the lid.

I used two aluminum binding post ends that are threaded on the inside.

I used 1/8 aluminum pop rivets to secure the posts to the pot. The expanding rivet gets driven into the threads of the post for secure attachment.

I used a small file to do some finishing touches to square things off a little.

Some of you may consider giving away your titanium pots so you can start from scratch just to have this type of setup for lifting your pot :D

Image Lid is locked

Image Lid ready to open

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Locking Lid for Kmart Grease Pot

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:09 pm

Very nice, Zelph I might have to give that one a try. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:21 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Very nice, Zelph I might have to give that one a try. ;)

If I were to do it again I would use a smaller diameter screw. Maybe a 10/32. I believe I used a 1/4-20.

Maybe use a dental rasp in the dremel instead of an abrasive disc. 6 of one half dozen of the other :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:50 am

zelph wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:Very nice, Zelph I might have to give that one a try. ;)

If I were to do it again I would use a smaller diameter screw. Maybe a 10/32. I believe I used a 1/4-20.

Maybe use a dental rasp in the dremel instead of an abrasive disc. 6 of one half dozen of the other :D

Yep that's how us alcohol stove guys work the :idea: comes in slow
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:40 am

Maybe use a dental rasp in the dremel instead of an abrasive disc. 6 of one half dozen of the other

I'm guessing the reasoning would be to make your cut channel smaller thus leaving more material on the "tongue" that will take the stress of the weight when lifting the pot , making it more structurally sound ?

Stout :D it'll make it more stout. My photos are of the first one after I had the idea.

My mother-in-law passed away on Christmas eve and not able to get to trying out some ideas and doing followups on my backburner projects. Life has a habit of slowing us down sometime :)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”