torch - new stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
bmike

torch - new stove

Postby bmike » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:30 pm

couple of new stoves i built.
i built a slightly larger capacity 'gram weenie' or mini whitebox - (best i can decipher from web pics) on the right, just to try out.

the one i'm intrigued with the most is the 'torch' on the left.

using these small bottles set inside one another. just enough room for a few wraps of fg cloth.

holds nearly 1 oz of fuel - i have to optimize the design a bit - i made it with scraps to test the idea.

no time to test boil yet.
i have some ideas for the torch to tune the amount of wick that is exposed.
seems to work well with my snowpeak 700 pot.
i have some larger diameter bottles on the way from the internet - might make a larger version for my snowpeak 1400 if testing looks promising.

gram weenie / mini white box pics:

and i'm thinking about adding a lightweight base of some sort - these can be really tippy! (defeats the gram weenie purpose though!

zelph

Re: torch - new stove

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:42 pm

They turned out great. I like how the vapors go right through the fiberglass cloth and also acts as a primer if needed. Great idea Bmike.

Are you still using denatured and ventilating more to do away with the headaches and odors?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bmike

Postby bmike » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:52 pm

zelph wrote:They turned out great. I like how the vapors go right through the fiberglass cloth and also acts as a primer if needed. Great idea Bmike.

Are you still using denatured and ventilating more to do away with the headaches and odors?

thanks.
i like the way the fg cloth works when constrained - sort of jets the alky out and through.
definitely some stoves that can be built using that concept!

still using denatured. keeping the garage door open 1/3.
heading to boston tomorrow to meet with a client - so i'll stop off at a NH liquor store on the way (cheap booze) and look for some everclear.
i probably won't test with the stuff - but i will use it when i hit the trail.
Last edited by bmike on Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmike

Postby bmike » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:05 pm

timed a boil, after adding some half hole punches to the lower bottle.
not sure if it makes a difference - but i noticed on my test burn that the flame wants to 'droop' a bit about 8-10 locations around the perimeter. i thought i would take advantage of that and help out a bit by adding the half holes from a punch.

first test boi:
35 degrees F air temp garage
50 degrees F water start temp
cold fuel
cold air
cold stove
cold bmike!
used aluminum foil for a pot lid with my thermometer inserted.

2 cups in my snow peak ti 700 pot
1/2 oz +/- fuel (dispensed using my brasslite squeeze measuring bottle)
windscreen / heat reflector

100 degrees F @ 2:45
140 degrees F @ 4:45
160 degrees F @ 5:30
Pot Noise @ 5:50
180 degrees F @ 6:15
200 degress F @ 7:05
Rolling Boil 7:15
Steam and Shaking @ 7:28
Holding 210 degrees F +
Flameout 8:35

respectable results for a quick sketch, and they could improve with optimization.
i think this stove would work great under a heiny pot. (i don't use them... but might have to make one to try)
it puts out a narrower pattern than the gram weenie. probably burns a little slower.
will have to try it with HEET and a 1/2 den / 1/2 HEET combo.

will look for that spreadsheet on optimizing fuel use / stove design.
the version i have will hold 3/4 oz fuel - i'd like to up that to 1 oz so i can try for a 3 cup boil.

these little, tall stoves are tippy as pot stands.
thinking of making a low cone that allows the pot to touch the stove as if it were in normal use - but would stabilize the pot should it get windy or you wanted to remove the lid and / or stir or add goodies to your water.

it might also work better had i bought the snow peak 600...

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:25 pm

Very respectable results for sure.

You're right about being pretty tippy. Would hate to lose my supper because of it. A cone would be a sure way to stablize.

Just for the heck of it put a lid on the burner to see if it jets up. A lid 1/4 inch larger all the way around. If it worked you could hinge a lid to the burner and then put a cone supported pot over the burner to within 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch away from the burner. this way you would'nt have to be so accurate with the cones height to seal the burner to pot.

Are you finding it difficult to break away from your stove making workbench? :mrgreen:

bmike

Postby bmike » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:37 pm

zelph wrote:Very respectable results for sure.

Are you finding it difficult to break away from your stove making workbench? :mrgreen:

yup. except we are expecting a little one... so i might be forced to break away at any time!

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:43 pm

Congratulations Father Mike :D

When you're in the house being a dad you can put your designs down on paper and submit them to us :D

bmike

Postby bmike » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:34 pm

zelph wrote:Congratulations Father Mike :D

When you're in the house being a dad you can put your designs down on paper and submit them to us :D

sure!
here is part of my bench:

(usually it is covered in bike parts - but those have moved to the shelf for now...)

if i'm lucky we'll figure out our budget so i can do primary child care... there will be lots of hikes and bikes and DIY projects in there... :D

bmike

Postby bmike » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:40 pm

after 5-6 burns the exposed wick was turning brown and was getting hard - not sure if this affects the performance of the stove - so i changed the design a bit. i moved the wick down into the body of the stove...

primed a bit faster than a 'normal' open center stove. as the center chamber heats you can hear it wanting to 'fire' the outer chamber...

seems to burn at about the same rate.
more testing tomorrow.

i think i want to take 1/16" off the center bottle... would lower the pot a bit and tighten up the flame.

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:47 pm

Congratulations. You just built a tiny ROF.
:mrgreen:
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”