torch - new stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: torch - new stove

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 pm

It's comming along really nice Bmike.

stove is working quite nicely. waiting on some more bottles so i can start optimizing height of pot to burner.
takes a bit to get going in the cold... its about 30 deg in the garage. alky is stored out there so its cold too!

Can't you regulate burner to pot by the legs on your potstand or is the pot sitting directly on the inner section of the burner?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bmike

Postby bmike » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:12 pm

thanks...

zelph wrote:It's comming along really nice Bmike.

stove is working quite nicely. waiting on some more bottles so i can start optimizing height of pot to burner.
takes a bit to get going in the cold... its about 30 deg in the garage. alky is stored out there so its cold too!

Can't you regulate burner to pot by the legs on your potstand or is the pot sitting directly on the inner section of the burner?

currently the pot just barely touches the stand - and the legs help you center the pot on the burner. they are there to keep it from tipping more than anything. guess i could make a wider screen / stand thingy too. this was too fun to conceptualize / build though.

pot needs to seal off the center of the burner. when i leave a gap i get fuel (condensing?) on the bottom of the pot - which lights when you pull the pot off. when it is sealed it seems to work better. i'll test it some more... when it gets cooking i think it could work OK - but when it is just getting going i think it sends unburnt fuel up to the pot bottom.

i think there is a magic number of burner height to pot bottom. too low (as in my first tests with this version) and it burns slow. too high (i'm borderline there now) and the flame spreads too wide and burns faster (more air?). i think my current stove pictured here could use 1/32" - 1/16" more height on the lower bottle, to reduce the distance from burner edge to pot bottom. i trimmed an 1/8" before this burn and think i should have been more patient.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:23 pm

Thanks for the update!!! The smell of unburnt fuel is a distinct smell for sure. YUK!!! The smell is one factor that caused my wife to kick me out of the kitchen lab. Flying, burning wick was another :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the photos and keep us updated. Were being educated by your progression.

The SuperCat is known for condensing fuel under the pot and igniting when the pot is removed. A flaming pot next to my shirt woke me up really quick to that condensing fact about the stove. It will also stick to the pot for a few seconds when you pick it up. :D

bmike

Postby bmike » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:33 pm

zelph wrote:Thanks for the update!!! The smell of unburnt fuel is a distinct smell for sure. YUK!!! The smell is one factor that caused my wife to kick me out of the kitchen lab. Flying, burning wick was another :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the photos and keep us updated. Were being educated by your progression.

The SuperCat is known for condensing fuel under the pot and igniting when the pot is removed. A flaming pot next to my shirt woke me up really quick to that condensing fact about the stove. It will also stick to the pot for a few seconds when you pick it up. :D

found that out by setting a pot down on my workbench and seeing a nice blue glow coming from it as i was an inch or so away from touch down. it would have gone right out, i'm sure... but i always check now when i pick a pot up.

come to think of it, the smells and headaches seem to be gone since i've been focusing on cleaner burns. wonder if that smell was unburnt / partially burnt fuel?
hmm.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:42 pm

The headaches no doubt were from carbon monoxide. The smell, unburnt fuel. I hate that smell!!!!!! Your nose is your friend when it comes to burner height to pot adjusting along with your eyes to see the colour blue.

bmike

Postby bmike » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:18 pm

did a few tests today.
best result was:

39 deg water to 168 deg on 15ml of fuel + 3 drops to help prime the stove.

my burner has turned asymetrical - think the fg wrapping went lopsided. one side is burning hotter / longer flames than the other.
more tweaking.
slow and steady.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:55 pm

bmike wrote:did a few tests today.
best result was:

39 deg water to 168 deg on 15ml of fuel + 3 drops to help prime the stove.

my burner has turned asymetrical - think the fg wrapping went lopsided. one side is burning hotter / longer flames than the other.
more tweaking.
slow and steady.

Some of my stoves the flame lean towards the north turn stove a round it still does there no draft in the shop :lol: :lol: cause most of the wind comes from the north it should lean south :? :?
Man play with fire man get burnt

bmike

Postby bmike » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:02 pm

stove effieciency -
i'm playing with the spreadsheet i found over at WB.
i'm coming up with 44.7% efficiency for this stove, testing in a garage with water starting @ 60 deg.
fuel temp @ start must be close to 40 deg f or less.
stove is cold, windscreen cold. pot @ water temp.

how much influence will ambient temp play?
i'm letting the stove blossom then setting my pot, counting priming fuel as part of the equation (as it should be).

...and do i really care if it takes 2 extra ml to boil water, or not? :o

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:24 pm

bmike wrote:stove effieciency -

If it does'nt matter to you, it does'nt matter to us. I think most of here will agree 2 extra ml is'nt bad in cold weather.

bmike

Postby bmike » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:50 pm

zelph wrote:
bmike wrote:stove effieciency -

If it does'nt matter to you, it does'nt matter to us. I think most of here will agree 2 extra ml is'nt bad in cold weather.

agreed. :)

so, according to the efficiency spreadsheet this stove runs consistnetly about 44.1% @ 40 deg +/- ambient air temp in a garage, running cold fuel.
will have to move everything upstairs and try this again sometime with warm fuel, warm stove, and warm feet. #s should go up, i'd imagine.

might have to consider moving that wick up a bit closer to the top of the burner to let it prime faster.
might also have to consider making more stoves and not worrying too too much about saving ml's of fuel. i can shave more weight off of me, before i need to worry about measuring out oz of fuel for a 8 day trip with 2 meals each. seems finicky, anal, and tricky at best. i doubt there is some reward for getting home with left over fuel. (until it costs $$$ a gallon...) :)

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”