The Warp One stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
sudden

Re: The Warp One stove

Post by sudden » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:56 pm

I think I know why Coleman put those wicks around the lamp. Maybe it's optimizing the burn by confining the gases not heating with the metal?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:31 pm

wick or mantle?

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/cons ... mantle.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mantle

If mantle, it is the shape of the flame.

re: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... of-a-flame
Although a lighter or candle flame appears to be a solid mass of light, it's actually hollow - the luminous outer layer is typically less than 1 mm thick. The core of the flame consists of the fuel gas and air pushing steadily outwards in the "flame" shape until they reach the thin combustion zone.
and
The hottest portion of the flame typically is in and immediately outside this zone, which is filled with the immediate products and partial-products of the chemical reaction known as combustion.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:22 pm

just tinkering,

My referring to shape of the flame is that every mantle lamp I ever had, Coleman, Aladdin, and the propane gas lamp in my RV for fun, the mantle successfully mimicked the shape of the flame to the extent the mantle became the shape of the flame, thereby making the most of the visible part of the combustion which, apparently, is where the heat of the flame is and more heat is at different places: one at the base due to area, one in the dark blue, and one above the tip, as per http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... of-a-flame

Maybe the blue-violet is the dark blue.

Maybe the insight and your original concept was the correct one for this stove.

It doesn't mean other stoves are not there for you to find.

I heard that fire is very unusual, as in perspective and in proportion, the flame always looks right. For example, small flames photographed against a "blue screen" can be superimposed on a big-scene and the flames always look right.

It is not like, for example, Godzilla, in the old movies, was smaller than the power poles inside town and then out in the hills Godzilla was taller than the high-tension powerline towers. That is an example of when perspective and proportion did not look right.

I think your stove has optimally used the shape of the flame-front. If that is the correct terminology I don't know.

I think more could be done with shape.

This is why I participated so actively in the threads about stoves by Q_x .

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Mantle. Yes. Thank you.

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:24 pm

FYI,

The mantle in a gas lantern is there because it is coated with materials that are incandescent and will emit white light when heated properly. The mantle itself is emitting the light, not the flame. The light from the flame is overpowered by the incandescent light. Coleman lanterns have shaped pipes to deliver the gas to the mantle and it hangs downward because it is very fragile and would collapse from its own weight otherwise. It is critical to support the mantle so it does not break and to control the gas flow through it to reach the proper temperature so that it will become incandescent (create white light). I played with this a bit with one of my stoves but had to shelve it because I wasn't supporting the mantle properly to have any useful life :cry: . It did appear that a pressurized alcohol stove could generate enough heat, but the mantle was too easy to break.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mantle

The mantle materials used originally were radioactive :o , but now are not. There are still some radioactive mantles floating around ebay and other places and are sought after by people who need to test their geiger counters.

DM2

Q_x

Post by Q_x » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:06 pm

sorry, blanked
Last edited by Q_x on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delete this account, please

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Too Cool 8-)

I want a pyrex warp one now.

Can you bend glass too?? :D

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:53 am

I had an older prototype that I decided to cut in half to show the inside geometry of the stove. One thing led to another and it prompted me to make this video. It was fun to do as I have not seen anything similar to this. I hope that you enjot this;
I sure did enjoy viewing the internal workings of you design. Awesome!!!! I like how you think :D Thanks a bunch for the demonstration in the name of stove science.....too cool :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:27 pm

Jon,IMHO, less fuel is always better providing the results are consistant. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:17 am

I reside at high altitude. My backpacking is in mountains.

I like fast boil.

Other factors slow it down: wind, for example. This is why I like windscreens and stove stands optomized for the stove.

I also like hiking in winter, even snowshoeing.

Fast boil.

Long distance hikers or people out for more than a weekend like less fuel required.

I'd say, optimize your design then say it is fast or uses less fuel.

I think it is one or the other. If you achieve both in one stove, be sure to tell everyone.