Minimalist one can double wall stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
nikos

Re: Minimalist one can double wall stove

Post by nikos » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:17 am

ok, I'll post a video of me cooking pasta with 10ml of alcohol :D

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:08 pm

nikos wrote:ok, I'll post a video of me cooking pasta with 10ml of alcohol :D
Trei Bien!!! :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

nikos

Post by nikos » Sun May 01, 2011 4:15 am

Sorry no pasta today, only boiling water.

To sum up : one classic can (the top and bottom encased), 10 ml of alcohol measured with a syringe, 500 ml of water (room temperature)
Once the stove was ready I accelerated the time x3 (the timecode give you the duration of the process)
At 4 min 30 the water is boiling

I wasted some fuel by making two huge holes (on the right side). I'll be damned :evil:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 am

nikos,

Was that stove "brand new"?

I had a sideburner-design stove perform exceptionally well the first time.

It boiled 2 cups water in 3.5 minutes, the first time. After that, 6.5 minutes.

I was thinking, maybe, the holes are clogged by the Yellow Heet we use here.

Someone else, in the forum, had the identical experience. Fast boil, one time.

nikos

Post by nikos » Sun May 01, 2011 9:54 am

Hi Connie,

Yes, that was a fresh one. But so far I didn't notice any performance drop with all the others. A lot of hikers use the P3RS stove (mine is its simplified version) three times a day for several days. It always shows very consistent performances. In France, I think they use a mix of ethanol and methanol (Alcool à bruler). I use ethanol 95% - from pharmacy). What is the Yellow Heet made of ? Are the holes of your stove visibly clogged ?

btw, what is the capacity of a "cup" ? :shock:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun May 01, 2011 10:43 am

Here is that page translated from French to English. http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

1 US Cup = 8 fluid ounces, 2 US Cups = 473.18 ml

"Yellow" Heet contains methyl alcohol.

It is relatively inexpensive and sold at gas stations, auto parts stores, hardware stores, and "big box stores" like Walmart, COSCO and Sam's Club. This makes it readily available for purchase.

It is "gas-line antifreeze" and "water remover" added to the automobile gas tank, to deal with condensation. There are times a partially-full gas tank, may have an accumulation of condensation from extremes in ambient temperature change. This product helps.

It seems some cars carburetion or fuel injection are more susceptable to problems from water-content in the gasoline than others. For that reason alone, "Yellow" Heet is sold just about everywhere.

There are two grades: "Red" Heet and "Yellow" Heet.

"Yellow" Heet is burns cleaner for backpacker's alcohol stoves.

The holes on the PepsiG stove do appear to have a "deposit" on the edge from the first burn.

Since hole-size diameter is considered critical to side-jet alcohol stove design, I was thinking this may be what is happening. I have no idea how to clean the residue, without perhaps clogging the holes more.

I am using an alcohol stove design that is not a side-jet burner, for that reason.

I am interested to know, however, if I can get that same 3.5 minute burn again.

If the "difference" is ethanol 95% - from pharmacy, it is difficult for us to find 95% ethanol.

We often refer to 95% ethanol, here, as "lab grade" and it is not commonly available.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun May 01, 2011 7:57 pm

You did it!!!!!! :D

10ml of fuel, whooo!!!!

Who says flames up the side of the pot is a waste of fuel? Niko just showed us proof that what you have heard is "Urban Legend" ;)

Interesting to see a 500ml pot :D water comes right to the rim top. That's what I call maximization of space. Efficiency to the max!!!!

I had 4 min boil times using 1/2 ounce of fuel in a Super Cat. I suppose if a pot like the one Niko uses(lid also) was used with the super Cat it would boil 500ml with 10ml of fuel. All things being equal to what Niko used. He has the right combinations.

Nice video and thank you for the visual proof. :D

hplar

Post by hplar » Sun May 01, 2011 9:07 pm

I'd be curious as to whether the results would be as good without that big glass umbrella of a lid... :roll:

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon May 02, 2011 9:03 pm

hplar wrote:I'd be curious as to whether the results would be as good without that big glass umbrella of a lid... :roll:
Same here, I'd like to see it done with a lid that just fits the pot. :)

nikos

Post by nikos » Tue May 03, 2011 9:06 am

hi,

I gave it an other try with a new one. I made it out of a classic can (beer).
Holes are smaller, closer from each other and from the top of the stove. The water is +/- 1cm from the hottest point of combustion. During the process, the can's wall is entirely covered by flames. The lid is precisely the size of the pot.
These details decrease clearly the "boiling time" and avoid a waste of fuel.
I put 11 ml of alcohol (to be sure to not run out of fuel) but I accidentally spilled some on the bench. Anyway the 500 ml was boiling at 3 min something so the fuel was not an issue.

May I :DB: ??

Here's the video (I didn't accelerate the time, I added music instead)