Minimalist one can double wall stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
sudden

Re: Minimalist one can double wall stove

Postby sudden » Mon May 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Nice video nikos. The only thing I didn't see is that you should sand the sharp edges once you press it together. I can't read french so maybe you had that in the text.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Nicely done, easy to make, great for those wanting to begin an adventure in making their own stoves. 1st time I've seen a stove made that way. :D

It's a never ending adventure. :D

Thanks for taking the time to share the video with us.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

dimeotane

Postby dimeotane » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:34 pm

In the original tests this stove was fueled with 10ml ethanol (95%)
People testing this stove with methanol will likely find can't get the same performance.

Pure ethanol is rated at 84,400 Btu per gallon. In comparison methanol is rated at 62,800 Btu per gallon. (http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/wcee/keep/Mod1/Whatis/energyresourcetables.htm)

If anyone is good at the physics math maybe you can figure out what this means in terms of the greater amount of meth fuel this stove would require to achieve the same results as ethanol?

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Off the top of my head, 20 percent more. Rough guess. :D

To get the same results as the maker of the original you heve to duplicate his stove to the exact and also his test conditions. Hard to do that.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Wow. Very easy to make. Just made one from a Dr. Pepper can. Noticed you could increase the base size for more capacity if you wanted.... (simmer possibility??)

Also, I noticed the jets were on the outside. What would happen if you put the jets on the inside at same height? Figured this would work well for a smaller pot.

Also, pertaining to ethanol/methanol thing... anyone got links on specific mixes? 50% HEET (methanol)/50% iso? as in mentioned here http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5070?

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:33 pm

JBRanger wrote:Wow. Very easy to make. Just made one from a Dr. Pepper can. Noticed you could increase the base size for more capacity if you wanted.... (simmer possibility??)

Also, I noticed the jets were on the outside. What would happen if you put the jets on the inside at same height? Figured this would work well for a smaller pot.

Also, pertaining to ethanol/methanol thing... anyone got links on specific mixes? 50% HEET (methanol)/50% iso? as in mentioned here http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5070?

I'll check backpackinglight.com. They had a list available for paid members. I'll go there and see if my membership is active/paid

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:03 pm

The stove went together easily enough but can't seem to get it to bloom. Followed the instructions to the T. Jets too small? I spaced them like the instructions said as well.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Don't you just hate that when you follow directions and it don't work :o :? what did I do wrong? :mrgreen:

grumdrig

Postby grumdrig » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:46 pm

I've been pursuing other hobbies for a while but something about this stove intrigued me, so I've built a few trying to get it to work.

I've had lots of trouble getting the thing to bloom and I'm not positive why, but after about six stabs with varying success here's what I theorize: In general, the fuel level needs to be up past the drinking hole in the inverted top of the can, because then when the fuel gets hot enough to vaporize, some of it that's trapped in the edges, between the two parts of the can, is forced out the holes. Otherwise, most of it just escapes up through the drinking hole, or maybe air is even being drawn in through them. Then, by the time the fuel has burned down to below that level, the pot is covering the top and the jets still work.

This means that if you take the pot off the top mid-burn, the jets wont relight unless you fuel it back up. (I didn't extensively test this claim though.) That's good though, if you'd like to be able to extinguish at some point - just lift the pot off & put it back down, and it's probably out.

Obviously, the fuel level needs to be below the level of the jets, so this stove has a fairly specific required level of fuel (I believe).

Also, the top of the stove and your pot need to be nice and flat so they fit tight or the stove may go out.

As far as hole size goes, I had success with a sewing machine needle hole every 0.5 cm, and also with a corn cob holder hole (apparently a smallish finishing nail) every 1 cm. As nikos' second (French) video says, cutting the top piece about 0.5 cm below the sloped part seemed to be right, with holes in the can about 0.7 cm below the rim, kind of pointing up. The height of the bottom piece is a function of how much fuel you want it to hold to reach the ideal level I mentioned.

I also made a stove from a smaller size can (like a small Red Bull can size). It basically worked but the small size of the slope makes the fuel level sweet spot very small and some fuel spluttered out the jet holes. Probably not a great idea.

I didn't time any of my experiments, but this stove did seem to heat things up quite quickly!

Thanks, nikos! Kudos on a simple, effective stove!

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:38 am

Yea, found out about the fuel level by accident myself. However, this was after I had made some "modifications". LOL! Dang thing burns HOT! The modded stove burns TOO hot. It burns up the available fuel in no time flat. Flames shoot out the sides pretty far! :DBfire: LOL! Wish I could capture some of that heat. Gonna retry the stove again with now knowing about the fuel level. Maybe try a smaller one as well.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”