Has anyone seen this 'Chimney Jet' Before?

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
hallz

Has anyone seen this 'Chimney Jet' Before?

Postby hallz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:36 am

Guy in Japan (I assume) makes a beautiful stove that has internal jets. It burns the nicest of any alcohol stove I have seen, nice strong blue flame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA97x9o0_2Q&feature=grec_index

sudden

Re: Has anyone seen this 'Chimney Jet' Before?

Postby sudden » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:16 pm

Seems to boil fast but I'm not sure I like all the hardware involved in building it.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:47 pm

He sure does nice neat work. I'm not to keen on stoves that need to be primed to get'em goin. :D

Thank you hallz for the link.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

BubbleHead

Postby BubbleHead » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:07 am

Really clean, attractive design. Well made. I like the fact that the cap comes off to serve as the priming pan also.
Only thing I'm not sold on is that the pot stand arms are screwed on - wouldn't pack down as small as it could otherwise and could possibly bend/break while packed.
-BubbleHead
"Two billion dollar submarine, and I GET TO CLEAN IT!!!"

MrClean

Postby MrClean » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:25 am

I don't think he builds them to go backpacking with. For some reason, he seems to be attracted to FIRE.

Don't know where I've ever heard of a group of people like that before.
From somewhere near Parkville, Mo.
William Crane
aka MrClean

You live. You learn.
Well anyways, you live.

BubbleHead

Postby BubbleHead » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:35 am

MrClean wrote:I don't think he builds them to go backpacking with.

Which is unfortunate, because with a lightweight backpacking mindset, someone with such skill and ingenuity could really come up with some neat concepts.

Like Zelph's Monster can setup he previewed for next year, off-topic but I really like that system.
-BubbleHead
"Two billion dollar submarine, and I GET TO CLEAN IT!!!"

MrClean

Postby MrClean » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:41 am

You mean, why carry 4 ounces of fuel and a stove when you could just carry the stove? That is pretty cool. CF wick is handy stuff.
William Crane
aka MrClean

You live. You learn.
Well anyways, you live.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:21 pm

CF Wick is really not a wick material. It is an absorbent carbon fiber cotton. Those that use it in remote fueled stoves have to force the fuel up into the fiber wad. You can see in one of tiny's video how it overflows and leaks down the side of the stove body. His stoves quickly burn off that large supply of fuel due to the initial radical flame. Close watch is necessary to make sure the flame stays big enough to boil the water. Those remote fuel stoves are not user friendly for use on backpacking trips. Fuel efficiency requires the use of a windscreen always. The slightest breeze will take the flame away from under the pot. You can't use a windscreen and watch the size of the flame at the same time. The user needs to be ready to squeeze the fuel bottle when the flame dies down. You can't see the flame if you use a windscreen. Tiny is using the big bruser imusa pots and it's even harder than all get out to see under the pot. He carefully edits his videos so you don't see how many times he has to give it the juice/fuel.

MrClean

Postby MrClean » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:58 pm

yea rrrr., ,maybe I should say, that one with the screw top and the fire in the center? I meant the stove in this video from your 2012 thread.

Nothing else. I thought it was a CFM wick because it looked black to me and true, not everything black is CFM. Guess I'll have to wait till you show me more. I did come across a little monster drink bottle with that funky top on it and walls that were so thin and flexible I though it was a plastic bottle originally.
William Crane
aka MrClean

You live. You learn.
Well anyways, you live.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:22 pm

MrClean wrote:yea rrrr., ,maybe I should say, that one with the screw top and the fire in the center? I meant the stove in this video from your 2012 thread.

Nothing else. I thought it was a CFM wick because it looked black to me and true, not everything black is CFM. Guess I'll have to wait till you show me more. I did come across a little monster drink bottle with that funky top on it and walls that were so thin and flexible I though it was a plastic bottle originally.

Yes, that's the one. It has CF in it just because so many are using it :lol: If folks like CF to burn their alcohol why should I deny them :D I will have the CF as a filler and my specialty wick embedded into and arounf it to act as the wicking material. You'll be able to see a significant different in the performance of the stove compared to other stoves using CF. I think most of you know that to accomplish capillary action of the transfere of fluids you need parralel fibers that are in close proximity of each other. That is not found in CF plumbers cloth. In the remote fueled stoves the fuel is forced into the wad of CF to it's saturation point and then ignited. once the majoraty of fuel is burned off it needs to be pumped in again via the hand of it's owner. Sorry to have drifted in the above post. A while back Skidsteer found a nice aluminum container to make stoves with. I think he used Carbon Fiber as his wick and was to report back with his findings. I'll see if I can locate that thread.

Ok, here's the thread I was thinking of

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4813

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”