Stainless stove problem

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Robel

Stainless stove problem

Post by Robel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:22 am

Hello everyone,
I made a side burning stove, the one that has it's own pot stand incorporated, so to speak... The problem is: when I put the kettle on it, the center flame vanishes and the side burner too... I suspect it is a heat problem... Maybe the holes are too high to heat the bottom properly and to vaporize the alcohol efficiently. When I had a priming cup, it works like crazy, even when I plug the center with my kettle... But as soon as the alcohol in the priming cup is burnt, the stove cools off and the side flames shut off... Any idea?

zelph

Re: Stainless stove problem

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:29 am

Try using larger and more holes. If you start over from scratch place the holes lower from the rim of the stove.

Glad to have you here. :D

Thanks for your inquiry.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Robel

Post by Robel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks! By reading your post, I realized that I only made 11 or 12 small holes. I think I will try to make another lower ring of small holes...

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 pm

I've experimented with side burner stoves of different diameter. Some work, some don't. You'll learn a lot the more you fiddle with it, so make as many as you can, and vary the placement of the holes, the diameter and number of the jets, etc.

The best ones I've got, though, are made according to the template and instructions at Zen Stoves. Here's a link for the Mini-Zen side-burner instructions:
http://zenstoves.net/MiniStoves.htm
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Daren has done extensive test of different size and quantity of jets. Take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4343
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Robel

Post by Robel » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:46 pm

I think I will reconsider stainless... It cools off too quickly and acts as a heat sink... aluminium is probably better...

sudden

Post by sudden » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Robel wrote:I think I will reconsider stainless... It cools off too quickly and acts as a heat sink... aluminium is probably better...
Aluminum conducts better than stainless. It may depend on how much stainless steel you used. More metal (of any kind) equals more capacity to absorb the heat from other areas.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Robel wrote:I think I will reconsider stainless... It cools off too quickly and acts as a heat sink... aluminium is probably better...
What is stainless - the stove or the pot?
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain.

Robel

Post by Robel » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:16 pm

The stove is made out of a stainless water bottle.

shingaling

Post by shingaling » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:09 am

You'd have better luck with an aluminum bottle. Those thin al bottles heat up easily, allowing the fuel to vaporize and stay lit. Plus they're easier to work and drill than stainless. Can you scrounge a Bud bottle or maybe an hairspray (or other cosmetic) spray bottle?