Stainless stove problem

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Stainless stove problem

Post by zelph » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Let the stove heat up longer before you put the kettle on.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Robel

Post by Robel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:26 pm

Even so, it doesn't work... flames will shut off if I put a kettle on it. I tried all kinds of strategies...

sudden

Post by sudden » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 am

Looks like you are not alone with the problem.
This one is also stainless but doesn't start to bloom.
Every time he tries to set the pot down it goes out.
The holes seem low to me (I'm no expert).

Also wondering if anyone asked what fuel you are using. Maybe it's a problem with isopropyl???

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

oops56

Post by oops56 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:39 am

need more jets and its wrong alcohol need heet in the yellow bottle looks like the ring needs to be sealed also
Man play with fire man get burnt

Vibe

Post by Vibe » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Needs wick.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:27 pm

The stove in the video does not have a sealed inner chamber. No pressure can build up in the inner chamber where the jets are. He mentions at the end he knows this is a possible problem and vapors may be leaking out the top.

I'd try all the things suggested previously. Seal the inner wall, use a higher energy fuel than 71% iso, maybe add more jets, but my guess is that that won't help. I'd also try to prime using alcohol poured over the outside of the stove just to see if it can work. That may just be too much stove to preheat easily.

You could add wick and change it to a wick stove, it would probably work a lot better. But that doesn't look like the intended design.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:01 pm

You could add wick and change it to a wick stove, it would probably work a lot better. But that doesn't look like the intended design.
Even with wicking..he still needs to seal the top end to get the jets to fire,otherwise he'll just get a ring of fire out the top between the inner and outer pieces(just clarifying)....Hopefully he realizes that.Appears his main idea with the stove is something stronger than aluminum and also something he can hang on the outside of a pack,on a carabiner,or on something other than packing it inside anywhere..reason for the cap and its loop.He could use some JB weld and rivets or screws(if he wants to take it apart again).
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:24 pm

"Robel", can you get a picture of your stove for us?

The guy in sudden's video needs to take heed to all sugestions so far. it may never get to working because of the angle of the shoulder that the jets are on. No enough heat generated back to stove to keep it hot enough for vaporization.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 am

Here's my experiment with open top alcohol stoves. It's made out of a dollar-store aluminum water bottle. I tried making one out of stainless, but the aluminum heats up and blossoms much faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Fox82l ... e=g-user-u

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Nice! Looks like it's made well. Is it your first attempt using the aluminum water bottle?

How does it react when you put a pot of cold water on it? Flames go out?