Stainless stove problem

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
steamjam

Re: Stainless stove problem

Post by steamjam » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:28 pm

zelph wrote:Nice! Looks like it's made well. Is it your first attempt using the aluminum water bottle?

How does it react when you put a pot of cold water on it? Flames go out?
No. there were several other attempts before this one. This particular design works too well and I had to put it away because it works best with a 8 inch or better cast iron skillet because of the overall diameter of the flame pattern. I've placed a Swedish Mess kit billy-Pot full of 46 Degree water on it and it just roars away, but doesn't boil the water any quicker then the army Svea stove that comes with the Swedish mess kit, yet consumes fuel at a much higher rate.

The best alcohol stove idea I've tried so far is the Monster Energy drink can stove. Self priming in about 1 -1.5 minutes and can be used with a US army canteen cup and stove.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 am

Here's that water bottle stove with a Coleman Peak pot on it.
Last edited by steamjam on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:21 pm

Nice flame pattern. Does it get any bigger. Does a cold pot of water make the flames get really small when the pot is placed on it?

I think stoves that have jets look cool!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:36 pm

zelph wrote:Nice flame pattern. Does it get any bigger. Does a cold pot of water make the flames get really small when the pot is placed on it?

I think stoves that have jets look cool!!!
I can put a pot full of 46 degree water on it and it just roars away just as pictured. It may weaken the flame for a moment or two.. I haven't noticed.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:10 pm

It seems to be working very well. You got a winner stove there. Nice flame pattern.

How much does it weigh without fuel?

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:47 am

zelph wrote:It seems to be working very well. You got a winner stove there. Nice flame pattern.

How much does it weigh without fuel?
It weighs about as much as an two empty soda cans. The reason why I no longer use it is because of fuel consumption. This stove is an alcoholic. It goes through alot more fuel to do the same thing the before mentioned Monster Energy drink can stove does in the same amount of time.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 pm

This stove is an alcoholic. It goes through alot more fuel to do the same thing the before mentioned Monster Energy drink can stove does in the same amount of time.steamjam
I can relate to that! I had a few of those also. :D It's interesting how we go through a learning curve to get to a viable stove. ;)