14.2g Canister stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Tony

14.2g Canister stove

Postby Tony » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:38 pm

This little canister stove I made last year it weighs 14.2 grams (0.5 oz).

The stove is made from aluminium (burner cup and valve body) and Titanium (mixing tube, needle valve, burner plate and pot support legs) the only part that I did not make is the brass jet which I have modified to suit, the needle valve handle is made from Beryllium copper wire. I have also put a flow restrictor in it to slow the gas flow down to suit the small burner.

This stove is one of my favorites.

Tony

This is the finished 14.2g stove
Flame from an earlier 15 g version
Flame under pot from an earlier 15 g version
Last edited by Tony on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skidsteer

Re: 14.2g Canister stove

Postby Skidsteer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:43 pm

Dude!

Now that's impressive! What's your effeciency? That's got to be hard to beat weightwise with an alcohol stove.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Tobit

Postby Tobit » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:48 pm

Very nice work.

- JT

Tony

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:02 am

Hi Skids,

I have not done seroius efficiency testing on this stove but it uses about 6g of canister fuel to boil 0.5l of water which is comparable to most good comercial canister stoves.

I have played around with some lighweight canisters for this stove (picture below).

Please excuse some of these pictures are from a slightly heavier version

Tony

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:19 am

Super nice design Tony. You're like a micro surgeon. I marvel at your abilities, awesome machining and designing. :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

bmike

Postby bmike » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:15 am

nice!
oh to have a machine shop at my disposal... (bmike sighs...!)

well done. i'd be curious about eff. of the stove.

i have a tiny butane mini torch that i eye for turning into a stove. i'm a bit scared of blowing the garage up - so i keep my eyes posted for the proper tip that would spread the flame out...

Tony

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Hi bmike,

i have a tiny butane mini torch that i eye for turning into a stove. i'm a bit scared of blowing the garage up - so i keep my eyes posted for the proper tip that would spread the flame out...

I have nearly burnt down my garage several times and I have many times when I have burnt the hairs off my hands with both canister stoves and alcohol stoves.

One problem that I have is that as I have been playing around with stoves for several years now I have become too complacent, the other day I knocked over a burning alcohol stove right on top of three plastic containers of alcohol about 5 litres, I now store the alcohol in another part of my garage.

With canister stoves I have had leaks that have caught alight near the canister it is a bit frightening.

Tony

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Tony wrote:Hi bmike,

I have nearly burnt down my garage several times and I have many times when I have burnt the hairs off my hands with both canister stoves and alcohol stoves.

One problem that I have is that as I have been playing around with stoves for several years now I have become too complacent, the other day I knocked over a burning alcohol stove right on top of three plastic containers of alcohol about 5 litres, I now store the alcohol in another part of my garage.

With canister stoves I have had leaks that have caught alight near the canister it is a bit frightening.

Tony

Nice thing about stoves that are filled with wicking is they absorb and hold the fuel in a safe fashon. Knock it over and the fuel remains intack. The "Starlyte" is one of the best safe stoves. ;)

Tony, what's the function of the large holes in the vertical black tube?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:32 pm

zelph wrote:
Tony wrote:Hi bmike,

Tony

Nice thing about stoves that are filled with wicking is they absorb and hold the fuel in a safe fashon. Knock it over and the fuel remains intack. The "Starlyte" is one of the best safe stoves. ;)

Now zelph think think ok i can tell you it needs just the right amount of mix air to get the btu.and blue flame
Man play with fire man get burnt

Tony

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi Zelph,

The holes are to suck air in to mix with the fuel, it is then entrained in the turbulent gaseous jet. Most of the air required for combustion is sucked in through these holes. I put a lot of time getting the jet size and mixing tube right to suit the small burner and , it is not easy to get right.

Tony

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”