New stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
markhait

New stove

Postby markhait » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi all...please go over to "You Tubes Finest Stoves" and check out the video I made of my latest stove.
Shoot me back some feedback...positive and even some negative.....be gentle though :lol:

Thanks
Mark

zelph

Re: New stove

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:32 pm

It turned out great Mark. I like the way the legs are set firmly into the threaded fastners. Makes for a solid feel.

Are you able to put in just 1/2 ounce and boil 2 cups as if to just rehydrate some ramen noodles?

I like your simmer device, very nice workmanship. I like the size/spread(rectangle rather than round) of the simmer flame.

I don't like the dark color, easy to get lost in the pack after dark when wanting a late night hot totty :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

markhait

Postby markhait » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:31 am

1/2 oz wouldn't do it. I had to use 3/4 oz and it took 7 1/2 minutes. I also had to shorten the pot stand legs, but I made a second set so now I can do both. I also painted the stove fuschia color so you could see it when you make your hot toddy :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:38 am

I also painted the stove fuschia color so you could see it when you make your hot toddy markhait

Now that's much better!!!! :mrgreen:

markhait

Postby markhait » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:02 pm

Hey zelph....is there any stove that will boil a pint with 1/2 oz alcohol? I'm going through all of mine and I have yet to find one.
My last one is the Super Cat, but I don't think its going to make it either. Nope I just checked....none of mine make it at 1/2 oz.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Good Job Markheit. Your self contained units are inspiring. Maybe a close tolerance windscreen might lower your boil time. Good job with the pot supports.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

markhait

Postby markhait » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Hey Ridgerunner,
Yeah, a windscreen would most likely improve the boil times. I just didn't put one on so that the video would be clearer.
I did think of another way of making the false bottom so that you wouldn't need a screw rivet gun.

Take a piece of aluminum about the same size as the inside bottom. Drill 3 slightly oversize holes for a screw (standard or metric). Put a nut on and insert through hole in aluminum plate. Adjust the distance from the bottom of the plate to the bottom of the screw head and tighten the nut against the plate. You'll have to take a measurement to figure out about how long of a screw you'll need so that you don't have to cut them. You should have about 3/16-1/4" of thread sticking through the plate. Now the rods only need to be tapped because they will thread onto the screws in the plate.
I'll make one at work next week and post some pics.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:28 pm

markhait wrote:Hey zelph....is there any stove that will boil a pint with 1/2 oz alcohol? I'm going through all of mine and I have yet to find one.
My last one is the Super Cat, but I don't think its going to make it either. Nope I just checked....none of mine make it at 1/2 oz.

There are quite a few. The supercat is one of them, mine does. Made mine according to the specs and used 70 degree tap water to start and it was kitchen tested. I'll see if I can round up a few from the archives. Hey Skids, you made a few, right?

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”