coil burner first attempt

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

coil burner first attempt

Postby DarenN » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:09 am

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

i used a small jam jar. (it was empty and on the counter)
1/4" (od) aluminum tubing. (laying around from other stove projects)
rolled the coil by hand around a 3/4" dowel. (why it was on my drafting table; i'll never know)
jewlers drill (kitchens are workshops, aren't they?)
JB Weld. (on top of the bookcase)
((you getting the picture? :lol: i'm not married. 8-) ))

i rolled the coil first, then spread it apart just enough to get the jewelers drill in. drilled a single hole, inside of the coil, center, bottom, pointing up at the underside of the top of the coil. this was the part i didn't understand, but i went ahead anyways. i've never seen a coil burner except for a video clip from Oops. i started out with my smallest drill bit at .023". no good! over pressured and blew itself out. .030" same. the next size i had was .045. that's the one burning in the pic. on this first attempt, the coil looks like crap and i mounted it a bit crooked, but it works and i'm thrilled. i've rolled and drilled another coil and will try again later.
oh yeah! i used fiberglass threads pulled from 6oz cloth to make the wicks. thanks goes to Zelph for that tip.

DarenN......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Re: coil burner first attempt

Postby oops56 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:24 am

DarenN wrote:IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

rolled the coil by hand around a 3/4" dowel. (why it was on my drafting table; i'll never know)
((you getting the picture? :lol: i'm not married. 8-) ))

i rolled the coil first, then spread it apart just enough to get the jewelers drill in. drilled a single hole, inside of the coil, center, bottom, pointing up at the underside of the top of the coil. this was the part i didn't understand, but i went ahead anyways. i've never seen a coil burner except for a video clip from Oops. i started out with my smallest drill bit at .023". no good! over pressured and blew itself out. .030" same. the next size i had was .045. that's the one burning in the pic. on this first attempt, the coil looks like crap and i mounted it a bit crooked, but it works and i'm thrilled. i've rolled and drilled another coil and will try again later.
oh yeah! i used fiberglass threads pulled from 6oz cloth to make the wicks. thanks goes to Zelph for that tip.

DarenN......

On them coil burner if they blow out they need fine tuning the gap at the top open or close to make burn its about a dime size gap. what fuel did you use.I just check some of mine on hole size .010 or .015 they burn coleman fuel
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:44 am

Reply with quoteReport this post coil burner first attempt
by DarenN on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:09 am

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

((you getting the picture? i'm not married. ))

Awesome job DarenN. I love coil burners except for the fact that they don't simmer! Something to think about!!! :roll: One of the perks to being single is that all those items were right where you left them :lol:
Now that you are an accomplished coil burner manufacturer, the next step is to micro size for UL purposes ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:00 pm

DarenN wrote:IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

I just love it when ya make a stove for the first time and it works the way it's suppose to :D

Now that your single, you'll be building kayaks in your kitchen :mrgreen:

It's nice to have all the parts just laying around and can find them. I have parts laying around but can't find them :mrgreen: I'm spread out way too much!!!!!

I suspect the flame is going up to the coil above and vaporizing the fuel within that portion of the coil and thus presurizing the system.

How did you prime the coil?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:07 pm

oops56 wrote:On them coil burner if they blow out they need fine tuning the gap at the top open or close to make burn its about a dime size gap. what fuel did you use.I just check some of mine on hole size .010 or .015 they burn coleman fuel

thanks Oops;
the fuel is metyl hydrate.
i was wondering about hole size. had no idea so i just went ahead, using what drill bits i have. i'll make a note on jet size for future tests with white gas.

Ridgerunner;
i wouldn't say 'accomplished' just yet. :)
already, the first coil i made has burned itself out. developed tiny cracks on one side of the coil. i suspect two causes. 1: the aluminum tubing (as opposed to copper) 2: bending the coil open and closed repeatedly for redrilling the jet hole.

DarenN.....

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:14 pm

zelph wrote:How did you prime the coil?

the first time i just wrapped my hands around the jar. it only took a few seconds for fuel to reach the jet. but i didn't like the way it lit up like a ball of fire from the raw alcohol on the top of the jar. i found that by holding a flame under the top of the coil it would light without priming.

DarenN......

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:48 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:How did you prime the coil?

the first time i just wrapped my hands around the jar. it only took a few seconds for fuel to reach the jet. but i didn't like the way it lit up like a ball of fire from the raw alcohol on the top of the jar. i found that by holding a flame under the top of the coil it would light without priming.DarenN......

That sounds like the way to go!!!

In the video it shows a small rectangular container being used to insert under the coils. The flip top portion/lid of a Zippo type cheapie lighter should work nice. Wire it to the coil to make it permanent. I hate loose parts ;)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:19 pm

under the top of the coil. that is; above the jet. no primer pan required.

DarenN.......

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:32 pm

DarenN wrote:under the top of the coil. that is; above the jet. no primer pan required.

DarenN.......

Gotcha!!!!Understood!!!! :)

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”