IBMUS Proto

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
oops56

Re: IBMUS Proto

Post by oops56 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:23 pm

CajunHiker wrote:
oops56 wrote:Wht type can bottom did you use for burner is jb weld or press fit
The burner comes from a cinnimon roll container (Winn-Dixie brand, I think). It's the piece that separates the rolls from the icing packet.

It's a press fit, the curvature of the bottle neck prevents the burner from going any lower.
As the name implies, this is intended to be a multi-use stove.
Burner installed:
1) Alcohol stove
2) Place a tea candle on burner for a lantern (also with bottle inverted & burner moved to other side of window).
Burner removed:
3) Trowel
4) Taller candle or mini "007" w/wick - lantern
5) Funnel? Cork & cap removed
6) Bailing scoop?
Dam dont' leave home with out one :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

CajunHiker

Post by CajunHiker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:38 pm

Besides the flamethrower burner issue, I also need to deal with stability. When I first came up with this idea, my thoughts were (and still are) a hanging stove. I think I know how I going to do that, but haven't found the right hardware yet. Alternatively, it could be placed in a hole in the ground or sand. I'm still trying to up with a packable, lightweight means of letting it stand upright securely.

Also, after I get the burner issues resolved, I can use the same burner system in the bottom of the bottle. That should give me something similar to the WB stove, but with a center flame. I should be able to put a flame control on it as well. :D

Of course, you could also make a burner to use a WICK (or 2).

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:46 pm

CajunHiker wrote:I was playing around with my InvertedBottleMultilUseStove (IBMUS) last night and was acutally able to get a constant burn. A BIG burn. I could use some suggestions on how to tone the baby down a bit. Here's the video, I'll post some pics of the stove in a bit. Not too sure whether to decrease number of jets, smaller jets, dilute fuel, or what. I've still got to add some vent holes near the top.
Febuary IBMUS Proto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cma3j80Dhj0
Looks like only four holes are igniting. Cut the same size opening on the other side of the bottle. reduce the size of your holes and place four on each side of the bottle by the openings.

Start fresh with a new full bottle. Don't open the bottle by removing the cap. Cut it open with a hacksaw somewhere at the other end of the bottle in a strategic place. When it starts to spray out put it in the sink to drain, shake well for faster discharge :mrgreen: This will solve the leaky cap problem. Sacrificial opening to appease the stove gremlins :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

CajunHiker

Post by CajunHiker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:02 pm

zelph wrote: Looks like only four holes are igniting. Cut the same size opening on the other side of the bottle. reduce the size of your holes and place four on each side of the bottle by the openings.
Start fresh with a new full bottle. Don't open the bottle by removing the cap. Cut it open with a hacksaw somewhere at the other end of the bottle in a strategic place. When it starts to spray out put it in the sink to drain, shake well for faster discharge :mrgreen: This will solve the leaky cap problem. Sacrificial opening to appease the stove gremlins :mrgreen:
All of the jets are lighting, it's just difficult to see. For this design, I don't want another opening on the other side. Doing so will forfeit reflector capability.

I've considered never removing the cap, but would prefer a removable method. I tried one of the wine stopper types, but it was too loose. Again, doing so would forfeit funnel use, and use as a chimney when inverted and used as a tea candle lantern.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:17 pm

CajunHiker wrote:
zelph wrote: Looks like only four holes are igniting. Cut the same size opening on the other side of the bottle. reduce the size of your holes and place four on each side of the bottle by the openings.
All of the jets are lighting, it's just difficult to see. For this design, I don't want another opening on the other side. Doing so will forfeit reflector capability.

I've considered never removing the cap, but would prefer a removable method. I tried one of the wine stopper types, but it was too loose. Again, doing so would forfeit funnel use, and use as a chimney when inverted and used as a tea candle lantern.
Hmmmm!!!!Smaller holes for the jets :) and a wire form rack for stabilizing the bottle while burning.

Edited to add photo and text: Make a wire form like this pot stand to hold up your bottle stove.

CajunHiker

Post by CajunHiker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:51 pm

zelph wrote:Hmmmm!!!!Smaller holes for the jets :) and a wire form rack for stabilizing the bottle while burning.
Edited to add photo and text: Make a wire form like this pot stand to hold up your bottle stove.
Which brings me to ask, is there a magic formula to determine the best number of holes vs hole size?
Regarding the wire form, I'm thinking of some sort of lightweight cable system that would work for both a ground stand and also as a hanging harness.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Which brings me to ask, is there a magic formula to determine the best number of holes vs hole size?
I'm not aware of any formula. Tony might have one stored in his data banks.

I'ts mostly trial and error. The more you make the more you learn.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:16 pm

I could use some suggestions on how to tone the baby down a bit. Here's the video, I'll post some pics of the stove in a bit. Not too sure whether to decrease number of jets, smaller jets, dilute fuel, or what.

I'm not sure I am 100% sure of your burner construction. I am guessing it is one piece and the fuel fills the bottle neck since you said you put 3 1/2 ounces in it OR are there two halves to the burner that are pressed together ?
Just some thoughts--How about putting an aluminum shot glass under the burner? You could wickitize the shot glass. That might tone the flame down and solve your cap problem. You might try using a wire pot support the sits on top of the burner and form it in a manner that it has 4 dimples sticking up to put a little more clearance between the top the the burner and the bottom of the pot. Make it in a loop manner where you can use it also to slide up the neck of your bottle and the dimples give you something to hand your stove from when using as a candle. Also, use about 22-24 needle size holes for you burner. You could use a ballpeen hammer to slightly bowl the middle of your burner down and put a fill hole in the center that can be covered after fill. You still need a burner support like what Zelph showed --with maybe a small funnel cut to fit the top of the support so the neck of your bottle slides into it and the neck of the funnel could slide into a wire with a circle in the center ( -----O------ ) that attaches to two of the corner support wires. That should stableize the burner. You might use a aluminum funnel and cut the neck so you can put a another funnel into it facing the opposite direction. The neck of the one going down needs to be just wide enough to slide the bottle neck into. JB weld them together.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

CajunHiker

Post by CajunHiker » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:53 pm

Burner is one piece. It separates the cinnamon rolls from the icing packet.
Fuel fills the bottle neck.
I plan on cutting either slots, holes or V's in the top to allow flames to exit.
Sorry, but I got lost on your support idea.

CajunHiker

Post by CajunHiker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:16 am

Here's my second burner attempt. I changed the placement of the jets and also the size. This was a 2 oz. burn (sorry, didn't time it or try to boil yet). The flame is tending towards the backside of the bottle, I think I need to add to or enlarge the air intakes on that side a bit. Now, I'll focus on some sort of stand or hanging harness. Tonight I'll also run a burn time test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pG291MhUS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhB9A5-Tl_s