A twist on the Altoids stove.

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Ridgerunner

A twist on the Altoids stove.

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:19 am

Not your typical Altoids stove. I'm still toying with this one to get maximum efficiency. Will hold about 3/4 ounce but coming up just short of a boil. Here is what I have so far. I got a cheese grater from the dollar store and cut and bent to fit the Altoids container with dimples facing down for a smooth surface. I have wicking material underneath it. Considering jb-welding around perimeter of burner surface. The lid works as a simmer plate. :lol: Here are some pics and my first attempt at video with the camera. Loading it to photobucket with dial-up takes forever so probably wont do much of the video until roadrunner comes my way. :x

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Re: A twist on the Altoids stove.

Postby oops56 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:50 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Not your typical Altoids stove. I'm still toying with this one to get maximum efficiency. Will hold about 3/4 ounce but coming up just short of a boil. Here is what I have so far. I got a cheese grater from the dollar store and cut and bent to fit the Altoids container with dimples facing down for a smooth surface. I have wicking material underneath it. Considering jb-welding around perimeter of burner surface. The lid works as a simmer plate. :lol: Here are some pics and my first attempt at video with the camera. Loading it to photobucket with dial-up takes forever so probably wont do much of the video until roadrunner comes my way. :x

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Why do you do this to me now i got to go and get my picture snow you mine
Man play with fire man get burnt

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:06 pm

The altoids on the right 6 1/4 holes a slot in the middle to fill sealed edge with jb weld house fiberglass and it fits in the esbit stove closed. the left same but small shoe Polish can fits stove closed also. The both will boil 16 oz. water on 1/2 oz. alcohol.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Your movies turned out great for first time around.

Your stove looks good and you should be able to get a boil if you slide the simmer lid half way closed. That will help focus the flame under your pot and eliminate half of the unused portion of the escaping heat going way out to the side of the pot.

Oops, you got you stoves down to a science now. 1/2 ounce is the magic number :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”