EXhaust chamber forcing exhaust swirlto swirl

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
SSGHawk

EXhaust chamber forcing exhaust swirlto swirl

Post by SSGHawk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:45 pm

I wrote something like this earlier but forgot to list a subject.
I have experienced years ago trying to force the exhaust gases to swirl all around the pot trying extract as much heat as possible from the hot exhaust I used a Starlyte with integral pot stand a bud lite aluminum bottle as the water vessel and a 32 oz Miler beer can as the outer windshield . The very top exhaust was about 1'4" all around the top of the two pots. I had four starlyte sized airjoles all around the bottom sides of the miller windscreen ans safety cut off the top.. I then used metal adhesive (head Gasket?) and glued a 1/4 V 1/4" X abou 10' swirling around the vessel pot all the way to the top."
Because My Starlyte was getting killer heat back from the integral pot stand and likely other reasons. the Starlyte started to boil and the miller windscreen began to deform.
That is the last stoving I have been able to play with in about 3+ years but common sense tells me that if the exhaust is coming out much above ambient temperature that we are not sucking all the heat out,.

Experiences and thoughts from anyone?.

Regards to all
Paul French

SSGHawk

Re: EXhaust chamber forcing exhaust swirlto swirl

Post by SSGHawk » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:47 am

Bump.
I guess this has not been tested by anyone else?
Regards
Paul

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:06 pm

I have not tried that configuration.

If you don't have enough exiting room for the gasses they will back up and cause too much heat to act upon the stove which will cause over heating.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

SSGHawk

Post by SSGHawk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:02 pm

Zelph
I was going thru your pictures last night, I felt like kid in a candy store. I found a picture where you made an very tight straight windscreen with top edge that completely sealed the top edge to the Fosters can. I think the picture was labeled 2 os something and you used a starlight with a built in pot stand (an old one with the small washer welded to the pot stand center).

In any event I am going to try something like that with spiraling exhaust chambers and the simmer option on the Starlyte. If the Starlyte gets too hot and starts to boils, that means I have insufficient exhaust...easy fix.
Thanks for all of the great ideas.
Paul French

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Are you going through my photo albums located at photobucket? If you are, then you surely have seen a whole bunch of photos equating to zillions of hours worth of experimenting. Those photos have been posted on several sites as I was going through my addictive years. As I look through those photos I see items that I never followed up on. :roll:

SSGHawk

Post by SSGHawk » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:58 am

Zelph,
You may not have finished them in your opinion but I see so much brilliance that it is very exciting. My head is filled with trying to combine a number of the wonderful ideas into one model. I was looking up hi temperature materials and conduit knockout punches last night. Still trying to figure out how I would build the swirling exhaust chambers to collect the heat but not choke the exhaust.and cleanly punch out the very ample air inlet and exhaust outlets in the windscreen pot-stand.

This beats the heck out of being an accountant. Thanks for the wonderful hobby and very interesting addiction.
I do not have alcohol stove OCD. Why do you ask?
Many thanks,
Paul

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:35 am

It is without a doubt a fascinating hobby. Glad to have had a part in your addiction :mrgreen:

SSGHawk

Post by SSGHawk » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:50 pm

Don't worry,I'm sure I will forget to tell the wife. It is getting harder to explain the Band-aids.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:50 pm

tell her the truth :lol:

SSGHawk

Post by SSGHawk » Wed May 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Did my first test burn of the swirling exhaust chamber windscreen. I did not time it since I was really just testing if the high temp. manifold tape adhesive could stand the heat. Worked fine. There were 10-15 mph gusts so I was fun.
It seems to me that with a small cheap Harbor Freight metal break, I can put a 1/2" deep swirl grove in the windscreen causing the exhaust to make 2- 360 degree turns around the windscreen. With a hi temp silver paint on the inside of the windscreen, hi temp flat black on the ridged pot there would have to be some positive heat exchange. Measuring the exhaust before and after should help tell.

Secondly, a lot of heat is being pulled off the outside of the windscreen. I would like to make a carbon felt outer windscreen cover unless you can recommend a better lighter insulating material.

Finally I have not figured out how to make your swirling air inlets. A moving ring to make them adjustable sounds neat but may have no benefit.