EXhaust chamber forcing exhaust swirlto swirl

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
SSGHawk

Re: EXhaust chamber forcing exhaust swirlto swirl

Post by SSGHawk » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Hey folks,
I made new swirl exhaust Chambers that are about 3/4" wide from pot to wind screen. There is still a slight burn the nostrils smell so I am working on a 1" wide chamber version that adds a pretty large 2"" to the overall OD when using but everything will still store pretty well . I put an old mirror under the the Monster Starlyte and I was just able to see flames still going up the pot side occasionally. (No breeze outside.) Of course, the glass mirror took one for the team and sacrificed itself for the test so I will find or order a metal mirror. (The mirror is very interesting to watch through one strategically placed air inlet 'porthole'.)

And the band played on.
Paul

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Those burning nostrils are the worse indicators that a stove designer wants to experience :lol:

You are on the verge of stove science history..... :D keep at it!!! ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

SSGHawk

Post by SSGHawk » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:12 pm

Commander Dan,
Been working my tail off at work getting up most days ae 3:30 AM and this whole week at 2:30 AM.

But every couple of days I get some time working on my swirling exhaust exhaust stoves and windscreens. 1.) I did not want to mess up your 32 Oz. Conquistador can on my prototype so I used a 32 Oz Miller beer can not thinking about the lack of a steady pot stand. Just tested it with a Starlyte and the smell is still a little stinky but I may not have enough air inlet. The exhaust chambers are made out of roof flashing affixed to the pot with VHT silicon and some riveted angles to hold the fins straight . the chambers make a 720+ degree turn around the pot and have 7/8th+ spacing between the pot and the wind screen all around. Way too much work cutting the aluminum flashing to fit correctly.
2.) Plan B: I used wood stove coiled door gasket with a 400+ degree swirl around one of your 2 + cup foster pots with your snap in the bottom pot stand. Added more air inlets and less smell.
3.) Just used wood stove flat gasket affixed (so it will stick out with the swirling fins )with VHT Silicon. I used an 18 Oz. coconut juice that already can like 15 ridges in the can and a flat bottom. Jst siliconed tonight. Tomorrow night I will need to add the siliconed small angle pieces to keep the flat gasket sticking out at the correct angle.

Paul

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:19 am

I came across some 1/4" thick refractory insulation material while cleaning out my garage. It's ceramic and might work for your project. I'll try to send it out today. :D Your idea using the stove gasket material reminded me of it. The flat stuff should work better for gluing it to the walls of the windscreen. It will flex somewhat.

How tall is your windscreen?

We don"t want to mess with the graphics on the Conquistador :mrgreen: ;)

SSGHawk

Post by SSGHawk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 am

Dan, Searching in your garage must be more fun than going to a museum.

The flat wood stove gasket was very easy to silicon to the tall thin coconut juice pot BUT when I tried to get the part of the gasket to stand out perpendicular to the pot wall I realized that it does not want to do that since it will have to stretch because it has a wider arc than the portion glued to the pot. Solution will require me to cut the gasket every inch or so and then I will have a bunch of holes to fill. I might try that but now I am now thinking more about cutting 1/4" wide strips of carbon fiber felt and then silicon a bunch of them to make a 7/8" thick strip to spiral around the can. I spent $20 on some very thin Titanium from china and my wind screen will go up to the very top of the can and only leave a slot for my pot grabber. Windscreen will be permanently attached to pot: carbon felt exhaust chamber wall will be siliconed to both the wind screen and the pot. Pot stand will be long stainless steel rivets thru windscreen that supplement the holding strength of he 100% silicon carbon felt bond between the pot and windscreen.

Question: For optimum fuel efficiency, should there be a different distance between the Starlyte and the pot if I have made a carbon fiber simmer ring versus without a simmer ring?

Please remind me: the burning nostril smell means incomplete combustion, correct? Can it be lack of sufficient air or does it only relate to choking the exhaust?

Regards,
Paul

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:25 am

My garage is now more spacious after having the yard sale. $1,200 worth of museum quality stuff went to new homes :D
Still lots of stuff left but will be sorted one more time for final disposition :D

When using a carbon felt simmer the height distance to pot can be the same.

As for the smell of complete fuel combustion you can raise the entire windscreen up 1/4" to allow maximum incoming air and then do a few tests. If the smell goes away, we can say you need to add more incoming air holes. If it does not, then the windscreen needs to be farther away from the walls of the pot.

If flames come in contact with your carbon felt near the stove, the felt will eventually be reduced in it's composition. Kinda melts if you will :o

SSGHawk

Post by SSGHawk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:30 am

Dan,
I sure hope you will post what you are getting rid of from you garage before you sell the stuff. I just love those old prototypes; they are history that I might be interested in buying a bunch.

Glad you mentioned the ceramic cloth. I remembered I had some that I had planed to use under Coleman lantern vents that I was converting to Kerosene burners. I will play with that.
Thanks for your help.
Paul

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:29 pm

The ceramic cloth I had was not the most flexible and it also has some small crumbs related to it. Not something to have around food ;) I made some nice thin burner with it but the fact that it had crumbs I stopped using it. I kept the burners/stove in a large shoe polish can.

SSGHawk

Post by SSGHawk » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:42 pm

Probably tuff on the stomach.
Thanks.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:14 pm

It was ok for my use but nothing that could be made available to the public.