Capillary Flange Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
WanderingStovie

Capillary Flange Stove

Postby WanderingStovie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:05 am

No tabs, no creases, no JB Weld, no 0.7 mm jet holes, no tornado - this is my latest capillary stove. The one unique feature is the flanged strip of aluminum that creates the capillary action. I guess I will call it a capillary flange stove, or CFS. I made it from a 12 fluid ounce aluminum soda can and a 49 mm diameter cylinder cut from an aluminum spray bottle I bought at Dollar Tree. I punched a row of 1/8" diameter holes centered 1/4" from the top edge of the 49 mm diameter cylinder. I punched the holes inward, so the burrs around the holes maintain a slight gap between the cylinder and the flanged strip. That vents fuel vapors originating outside the cylinder, and helps prevent a build up of pressure that could push fuel under the cylinder and cause an overflow. The flanged strip covers the holes, making it difficult for a flame to pass through and blow the stove apart. The flange reduces ejection of fuel droplets, but they are still visible as yellow sparkles in the mostly blue flame.

I put just enough room temperature denatured alcohol in the bottom to cover the dome. I put the burner on an inch of snow and lit the fuel with a Scripto lighter. The capillary action started almost immediately, and the fuel burned at an even rate until very little fuel remained. The flames were much smaller as the last few drops of fuel burned. The snow under the burner melted, leaving the burner resting on an icy cement sidewalk.

Image Image

zelph

Re: Capillary Flange Stove

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:22 am

I'm having a difficult time visualizing the capillary action. :?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

WanderingStovie

Postby WanderingStovie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:44 am

Yes, sort of like wind. You only see the effects. A video would show the yellow sparkles of burning fuel mist, flames around the flange, and the changes in behavior of the flame at start up and burn out relative to the main burn. But you can see the dark stains on the stove where the fuel deposited the dissolved ink from a Sharpie marker.

kensashiro

Postby kensashiro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:44 am

I have to take your knowledge to use in everyday life.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:45 am

Perhaps a short video would be helpful ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”