Another Tornado Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
WanderingStovie

Another Tornado Stove

Postby WanderingStovie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:57 am

The JB Weld is drying on my latest tornado stove. I used pieces of two 12 fluid ounce aluminum soda cans and a 49 mm diameter aluminum spray bottle (from Dollar Tree), and two 1/8" eyelets. I cut a 33 mm long cylinder from the spray bottle. I cut 10 mm from the bottom of one can, removed the concave portion of the bottom with a flat file, and filed the hole with a round file to make it fit around the cylinder. I flared one end of the cylinder, removed the coatings from the cylinder and can bottom, and joined the flared end of the cylinder to the can bottom with JB Weld. The flared end conforms to the shape of the can bottom, and prevents the can bottom from sliding off the flared end. I put 7 evenly spaced (every 22 mm) marks around the circumference of the cylinder near the joint. I drilled 1/32" diameter holes at the marks, angling the holes as Tetkoba does for his Capillary Hoop Stove (CHS). The completed subassembly stands 40 mm tall. I cut a 28 mm wide strip from the side wall of the soda can. I wrapped it tightly around the cylinder, taped it, removed it from the cylinder, punched two 1/8" holes through the overlapped portion, and installed 1/8" eyelets with the heads on the side that touches the cylinder. I removed the tape and slid the strip over the cylinder. I cut 42 mm from the bottom of the second soda can. I inserted the 40 mm tall subassembly into the second can bottom until the cylinder touched the bottom. Then I rolled the edge of the second can over the edge of the first can.

The finished stove is 40 mm tall and 66 mm in diameter.

Image Image

zelph

Re: Another Tornado Stove

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:39 am

Nice and shiny...needs fire put to it :mrgreen: Which pot support will you use?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

WanderingStovie

Postby WanderingStovie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:21 pm

My latest tornado stove did not work as well as I hoped. I set it down in a pile of plowed snow. I lit about half an ounce of alcohol in it. It melted a 3" deep hole in the snow, making its own windscreen. The jets did not form while it sat in the snow. I picked it up, and the jets formed after it got too hot to hold. I set it back down in the snow and the jets vanished. I think my mistake was letting the inner cylinder touch the bottom of the can. I also think it leaked fuel vapors. I will try again with another can bottom and more JB Weld.

When it passes the initial burn test, I will try to boil water in a Halulite Minimalist pot on my tripod stand. The stand will support the pot 1 1/2" above the top of the burner.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:33 am

Nice experimental project. Jet stoves and cold weather, a huge challenge :shock: The "Cobalt" stove solved the problem and went on to be successful until the thick bottles disappeared :(

WanderingStovie

Postby WanderingStovie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:06 am

Let me guess - a wick?

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:13 am

there is a video somewhere in this thread that will give the details:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1403&p=20832&hilit=cobalt#p20832

WanderingStovie

Postby WanderingStovie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:14 am

I think the fiberglass wick you put in your cobalt would have to touch both walls - the inner wall for fast bloom, and the outer wall after the bloom, to cool both walls as fuel evaporates and keep the temperature at the base below the boiling point of the fuel. I think I will add a second capillary strip around the inside of the outer wall in my tornado stove to cool the outer wall.

WanderingStovie

Postby WanderingStovie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:27 pm

I tested my latest tornado stove some more tonight. Keeping the inner cylinder off the can bottom did not make it work any better when sitting on snow. The solution to that will be an integrated stand with three pieces that fold out to hold the pot and elevate the stove, and an optional thin flat circle to act as a snowshoe.

I removed the capillary strip that was around the inside cylinder, to see what would happen. The burner bloomed (when not sitting in snow), but not quickly.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:48 pm

WanderingStovie wrote:I think the fiberglass wick you put in your cobalt would have to touch both walls - the inner wall for fast bloom, and the outer wall after the bloom, to cool both walls as fuel evaporates and keep the temperature at the base below the boiling point of the fuel. I think I will add a second capillary strip around the inside of the outer wall in my tornado stove to cool the outer wall.

My moto: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

You gotta plan your work, then work your plan ;)

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”