Tornado Cat

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Tornado Cat

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:44 pm

WanderingStovie wrote:The first test of the Tornado Cat version 4 produced a yellow flame and turned the coating inside the steel can to ash. I removed the ash with a rotating steel brush.

I put an ounce of denatured alcohol in the Tornado Cat, lit it, waited 20 seconds, and set a Halulite Minimalist pot with 2 cups (480 ml) of 73F water on the rim of the stove. The flame quickly went out. I relit the stove, waited 30 seconds, and set the pot on the rim. 12 minutes after relighting, the water boiled vigorously. I removed the pot and watched the tornado-like flame until it died down and the last bit of fuel burned in the bottom of the stove. The flame was blue while the pot was on the stove.

The windscreen I used is 5 3/4" tall and 5 1/4" in diameter. It is partially closed at the bottom, with an 80 mm diameter hole in the center, and three legs which leave a 1/4" gap under the bottom rim. The stove and windscreen rested on a steel lid, which rested on concrete. The temperature was about 30F and the wind was mild.

Ok, what is your opinion of the stove at this point?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

WanderingStovie

Postby WanderingStovie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:44 pm

I am guessing the time to warm it up for simmering is between 30 and 50 seconds. That needs more testing. I should also test with a pot stand. With a pot stand, I can put the pot on immediately after lighting, or light the stove with the pot already in place. When the water gets close to a boil, I can remove the stand and put the pot directly on the burner. That is how I would simmer with this stove. So the 30 to 50 seconds to warm up the burner would take place with the pot on the stand, so no fuel would be wasted.

When using a stand, I expect it will heat water quickly, but not efficiently. The flames seem to go too far up the side of the pot for fuel efficiency. So maybe it is good for camping or overnight use, but not section or thru-hiking. It might work better for a large pot, if cooking for two people.

Sorry I have not done more testing. I am trying some other stove designs. Tonight I tested the second version of a smaller side burner with slots instead of holes.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:23 am

Ok, good observation. Keep us informed on it's progress.

What stove do you currently use when doing a section hike?

WanderingStovie

Postby WanderingStovie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:57 am

I carried my Split Cat on parts of the Appalachian Trail in PA, NY, and CT, and part of the Pinhoti in Alabama. It boiled my water slower than I would have liked.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Ok, this is the split-cat for reminders:

Image Image Image

Have you has thoughts on a way to speed it up?

WanderingStovie

Postby WanderingStovie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:14 pm

I found it difficult to design an adjustable burner ranging between a very low flame and a very high flame. I settled for something relatively slow.

I am starting over with a fast stove and looking for ways to slow it down. I am going outside now to test my Diagonal Slot Stove, version 2. I put the slots too high on the first version, so the flame died out with unburnt fuel inside after a minute or so. For version 2, the average height of the slots is now 1" from the top rim. Last night I put 30 ml denatured alcohol in the burner, lit it, waited 25 seconds, and put a pot with 2 cups of room temperature water on the rim. The stove stayed lit for 8 minutes, but the top of the outer capillary hoop was too close to the bottom of the slots, and burning fuel spewed out the side. I shortened the outer capillary hoop for safety.

I plan to add a rotating band with triangular openings to adjust the flame. Having slots instead of holes should allow for continuous adjustment.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”