Fully adjustable alcohol stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Fully adjustable alcohol stove

Postby zelph » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:22 am

Yah, the tanks are great!!!

Look at the one on the left in the photo. It has an oil fill port thingy
Attachments
gas tank.JPG
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:08 pm

I remember we used to fill them with a plastic fuel squeeze bottle with a rubber tube on it..when the fuel comes out the vent port,they were full...
Having a vent..gives you a good continuous flow of fuel..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:25 pm

churro wrote:To be fair, I totally ripped off this design from these folks: http://packafeather.com/stove.html

I felt bad about that, so I bought one of their stoves to compare to my ripoff. Performance is about the same, but theirs is more convenient because the control knob is at the end of a piece of steel cable that lets you adjust the flame from outside the windscreen. If you are looking to buy an alcohol stove, I recommend it highly.

But, I couldn't resist building my own.
IMG_3143.JPG

The air intake is on the sides, under a band of aluminum that opens or closes when you turn the bottle cap. The flame comes up through the center hole in the top. On high it spreads out to cover the bottom of a 6" bot when all the way open. Because you are regulating the airflow, not the fuel or flame, it works just fine with esbit tablets, too. The snuffer lid lets you put it out when you are done cooking. It cools in about 3 minutes or less, then you can slurp out the leftover fuel with the straw on the fuel bottle.
IMG_3143.JPG

Mine is more stable than the packafeather, and just about as compact. It fits perfectly into a coleman stainless steel french press, along with a windscreen, tinderbox, a few candles and a hanky. Fuel has to be carried separately.

I made this a few years ago, and had to go through several iterations to get the order of assembly right, but didn't keep any notes. Sorry. I timed boiling and all that, but lost those notes when we moved. In general, it performs as well as any of my stoves when wide open and simmers gently when closed, with a smooth range of adjustability between. Works well with my backcountry oven, too. I love this thing almost as much as the packafeather, and would love it more if it had the remote-adjustment feature I mentioned above. I'll get some pics of it in action soon, so you can see the flame and all.

Just wanted to bring this thread back on topic ;) The tanks might be applicable to the fully adjustable stove. Make a remote feed for it, really doable.

churro

Postby churro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:31 am

zelph wrote:I bet your wife has red hair and you have moustache :mrgreen: Thanks for sharing the photo of your son and the knowledge that you are a stay at home Dad. Lots of responsibility there. :o You can't take days off for illness like we see on tv. ;) Stay well!!! ;)

Close- I have red hair and my wife has a mustache (Just kidding :mrgreen: ). I have full beard that's reddish, and she's a cute brunette. Our son's hair is actually more blonde than red, but for some reason always looks red in pictures. He's about the happiest, most even-tempered baby I have ever met. That sure is nice!

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:29 am

He sure is a cute little bugger with his Klondike PJ's

Don't say those nice things about your son while mom is near...she'll want to trade places with you :mrgreen:

Your fully adjustable stove makes me think of the "12-10" stove used by Trail Designs. They use a simple stainless steel ring that makes the stove simmer. Their basic design of the stove is like yours. I've tested their simmer ring on one of their stoves and it's cool to see how the flames are inside the stove from the upper holes that allow air into the center portion of the stove. You can only see those little flames in the simmer mode.

See if you can simmer your stove all the way down and then look inside for the little jets of flame.

churro

Postby churro » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:58 am

zelph wrote:He sure is a cute little bugger with his Klondike PJ's

Don't say those nice things about your son while mom is near...she'll want to trade places with you :mrgreen:

Your fully adjustable stove makes me think of the "12-10" stove used by Trail Designs. They use a simple stainless steel ring that makes the stove simmer. Their basic design of the stove is like yours. I've tested their simmer ring on one of their stoves and it's cool to see how the flames are inside the stove from the upper holes that allow air into the center portion of the stove. You can only see those little flames in the simmer mode.

See if you can simmer your stove all the way down and then look inside for the little jets of flame.

Thanks, he is cute. I think his mom already wants to trade places :cry:

The similarity to the 10-12 stove crossed my mind, too. I have a prototype of my adjustable stove that has no pot stand. I am thinking that a caldera cone is the way to make it functional. The adjustability will allow for simmering as well as optimizing the burn with limited cutting and drilling. I have even been considering cutting off the pot stand from my packafeather and setting it up with a caldera cone. I love the stability that introduces.

I have noticed the internal jets of flame you mentioned. Really pretty.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:10 am

Make a 12-10 clone for your cone clone .... that's a lot of cloning :lol: say that real fast 3 times :mrgreen:

You got mail!!!!

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”