Fully adjustable alcohol stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
churro

Re: Fully adjustable alcohol stove

Postby churro » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:49 pm

zelph wrote:
How well does the long nosed fuel bottle work for sucking fuel out of the stove? Does it suck out all of it?

Pretty much all of it. I'd guess it leaves less than 3 ml. The leftover evaporates pretty quickly. I got the bottle at a healthfood store, but can be had from REI, too. The tube came out of the squirtbottle from some beauty product my wife had (before I dumped it and took the tube...). I heated it gently with a lighter to bend it. Fits perfectly into the bottle nozzle, no leaks.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 pm

Ok, so it's a DIY bottle and not the one sold by Packafeather. I'm going to search online for the one packafeather sells. I'm working on a stove design that can use a filling tube like that for a small fuel port.

How long ago did you create your fully adjustable stove?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

churro

Postby churro » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:42 am

zelph wrote:Ok, so it's a DIY bottle and not the one sold by Packafeather. I'm going to search online for the one packafeather sells. I'm working on a stove design that can use a filling tube like that for a small fuel port.

How long ago did you create your fully adjustable stove?

Yeah, DIY bottle, though I do have one from Packafeather and I can't even tell which is which. I made this at least 3 years ago. maybe 4. It was before I moved to western CO, so it had to more than 3.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:38 pm

Does packafeather's look DIY or a commercially made item?

Show us something you've made after the fully adjustable or what's in the works?

I'm working on a single jet alcohol stove. :o

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Not trying to get off-topic..but..Has anyone tried a small vented fuel tank from a flying model plane for a remote fuel supply? I remember 50 years ago we used to be able to get really lightweight copper soldered ones..had to be lightweight for planes..and held a few ounces...Why build one..You might check a hobby shop.They may have the fuel-quality tubing and valves also for a reasonable price..just a thought.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:07 pm

great idea RG. I remember having crashed a plane or two and having to salvage parts to include the gas tanks...that was long ago :D

You could remote feed the fully adjustable alcohol stove with one of the tanks. :idea:

Ya know, full blown hobby stores are hard to come by nowadays. There is only one in my town of 150,000 population.

churro

Postby churro » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:11 pm

zelph wrote:Does packafeather's look DIY or a commercially made item?

Show us something you've made after the fully adjustable or what's in the works?

I'm working on a single jet alcohol stove. :o

Packafeather's fuel bottle are exactly the same as the ones I got at Vitamin Cottage. The straw is exactly the same as the one I salvaged. Looks like they just repackaged them after heating and bending the straw (just like I did).

I'll dig around for some newer projects. We moved right after I made the stove, back to the family ranch. Between irrigation, fence repair, livestock and a new baby, my free time has sort of dried up. Most of what I have been working on has been related to ranch work in some way (elk hide mittens with homespun wool liners and homegrown rabbit fur cuffs, felt boots from homegrown wool, chicken coop, rabbit hutch, drop spindles for spinning wool, wool hoodie for my wife, etc.). A little off topic for this forum, but I'd be happy to share.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:10 pm

felt boots and drop spindles :D

I'll start a thread down in the Just For The Fun Of It forums

Ok, here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6338

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:07 pm

These are the tanks I was thinking of..apparently they might still be pretty cheap...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-VINTAGE-FROOM ... 20f6bd337e

Search on ebay was "model airplane fuel tank"...or .."Model airplane" fuel valve,tubing,etc...all methanol? grade stuff.I remembered those tanks were ultralight and well made...I saw an old one listed for 99 cents also..appears the new ones might be plastic bottles with special caps.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

churro

Postby churro » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:26 pm

zelph wrote:felt boots and drop spindles :D

I'll start a thread down in the Just For The Fun Of It forums

Ok, here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6338

Posted a teaser in that thread. I'll try to put together something more serious soon.

Great ideas on the airplane tanks, too. Thanks RG.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”