Coil stoves? I'm inspired, but cautious.

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
churro

Re: Coil stoves? I'm inspired, but cautious.

Postby churro » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:04 pm

well I assembled the parts yesterday, let them cure, then noticed the wick still sitting there on the table. I'd forgotten to install it before assembling the body. Oops.

Pounded 2 more Bud Lites (hate the stuff, should have just thrown it away or hired a drunk to drink it for me). Cut new parts, made a new coil (using the brand new pin vice and bits my lovely wife bought me the other day while she was stocking up on her craft supplies). I just finished assembling the new one, this time with the wick installed. I figure I'll let it cure for a couple of days to be sure it's god and hard, then light it, take cover and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice, Ridgerunner. I was generous with the JB Weld, so it's ugly as sin. If it burns hot I might have to call it hellfire or something.

For testing I have a coupler for 12" culvert pipe and a gravel driveway. The coupler stands about 12", thick steel and is a little bigger than a foot in diameter. It has made a great windscreen for cooking in my dutch oven, and should make a good test pad for stoves.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:30 am

If your stove is well sealed, you're going to need a rubber stopper to insert into the center of the coil to prevent fuel from seeping out the jet holes/hole. The wick has a natural capillary draw of fuel from your tank. It will seep out the hole especially if you put your warm hand on the tank. I think it was oops56 mentioned that in one of the threads on coil stoves. Read all you can on the threads here that deal with coil stoves. Up in the right hand corner of the home page there is a search box.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

churro

Postby churro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:58 am

IMG_4758.JPG

Here it is all glued up. The JB Weld will is not yet fully hardened. As I said before, I left the fuel port tubing long to protect the drain plug from excessive heat. I also installed a support/heat shield made from some leftover can material. I figured this would help hold the long fuel tube in place so it doesn't work loose over time, and hopefully it will dissipate enough heat before it gets conducted all the way to the plug.
It's heavier and bulkier than I would want for camping, but if it works I'll be pleased. I am already mulling plans for a smaller, lighter version.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:25 am

I like the stove but am a bit skeptical with the fuel port. I would cut down on bulk and weight by putting a threaded rivet in the top with a thumb screw and gasket washer...jmho
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:43 am

Whoa!!!! getting closer to " we have ignition Houston" get the pots of water ready :D

One thing to remember from a previous thread "don't use fiberglass wick when coiling it all the way through the entire coil. I think it was oops56 said it will melt. Oh the small minor details. :o

I think those plugs might be made to withstand high engine block temperatures. Made to replace "freeze plugs" Your set up will survive the alcohol burner flames for sure.

Wish I could be there when you light it up :D

churro

Postby churro » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:33 pm

Well, it doesn't work. Seems like the jet is too big or the wick too small. It lights up nicely, primes, then blows itself out, as though there is not enough fuel feeding into the coil. Oh well. I definitely agree with Ridgerunner on the fuel port, too. Just working with what I have on hand right now.

I whipped up another one while my son was napping yesterday. Bud Lite can body, single hoop of copper with a wick inside. The jets are just 2 tiny holes in the top of the stove body. I started wit the smallest bit I had, and figured I can make them bigger until I get stable performance. Same tubing for the fuel port, but shorter this time. When I tested the last stove, I spilled some alcohol on the plug. No damage, despite being on fire for a few minutes. Below is the video that inspired me.

And here's my version, still curing.
IMG_4760.JPG

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:02 pm

well that's different. first time seeing one like that. Other videos show all sorts of designs... :? which one do I do next :mrgreen:

churro

Postby churro » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:36 pm

I am a little surprised I found something you have not made, much less seen, Zelph. I've been trying to view your store without luck. Is the link working?
Also, I noticed today at the local Ace hardware tat there is something called an "expansion plug" that might work well as a Stopper for inside the coil to seal off the jet on a coil stove for transport. It's adjustable by tightening a nut to spread the rubber. Not light, but if the size was right you could remove the metal parts to lighten it up. Available in a range of sizes that look about right. Couldn't find it by searching the ace website, though. Looks like this one, but smooth, not ridged:http://www.amazon.com/Shaw-Plugs-Expandable-Neoprene-Hardware/dp/B0085PBL00/ref=sr_1_39?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1425667919&sr=1-39
EDIT- never mind, I found it by searching.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:50 pm

I don't spend much time reviewing videos to see what's new. Things are changing so fast it makes my head spin. So many stove makers out there whooooo, lots of them.

I fixed the link in my signature:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

I have 2 web addresses to confuse everyone :lol: When I first came out with a wood burning stove for sale I created a site just for wood stoves and the rest is history. Info started going out under 2 addresses and the confusion began :oops: :oops:

Those expandable plugs are used in engine blocks when the freeze plug pops out. Engines without antifreeze will pop the factory installed metal freeze plugs. The rubber expandable ones are to replace the factory installed one.

churro

Postby churro » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:50 am

Just a few notes on the last stove I made. I haven't tested it yet, so calling it a stove may be optimistic, but hey...
I opted for two jets set fairly close to where the copper enters the can. This leaves a small concave area between them for priming fuel to sit. If the capacity of this space is not enough for proper priming, I'll add a small piece of fiberglass wick glued to that spot.

Since my last one was a bust and cannot be disassembled for tuning, I tried to make this one in such a way that I can adjust the jet size to tune it up.

If it works, I'll make a cleaner and lighter version, maybe with an integrated pot stand.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”