How to build a Grinch Stove - Revised

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
GrinchMT

How to build a Grinch Stove - Revised

Postby GrinchMT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:45 pm

Sorry about the prior videos. I have taken the build video and split it up into 3 parts to satisfy You Tubes limitations. Here they are...

Pert 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xBpGIKaVQ
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aqnoUmvdPg
Part 3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCqOQtp6XY

Hope this helps. I will do a new burn video and other information in a few days that will help explain how the stove operates.

--GrinchMT
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God…I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles." --- Anne Frank

oops56

Re: How to build a Grinch Stove - Revised

Postby oops56 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:18 pm

GrinchMT wrote:Sorry about the prior videos. I have taken the build video and split it up into 3 parts to satisfy You Tubes limitations. Here they are...

Pert 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xBpGIKaVQ
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aqnoUmvdPg
Part 3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCqOQtp6XY

Hope this helps. I will do a new burn video and other information in a few days that will help explain how the stove operates.

--GrinchMT

Now that real nice anybody can build that.I got spray cans that heavy alum. that work.Got some time test burn time boil time etc.
Man play with fire man get burnt

GrinchMT

Postby GrinchMT » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:52 pm

That was one of my goals... a solid stove that anyone can build, without the use of a lathe, or "hot roll crimps". If you look at the stove carefully, I think you will see there are a load of possibilities for improvement or enhancement. I have a couple of ideas already but I need some of that fiberglass wick... As much as I hate that stuff ;)

I'll post my goings-on with this thing as I work with it. I believe in sharing for the betterment of the community so i hope some good ideas are born from this stove.

--GrinchMT

Depending upon jet placement - 1 ounce fuel for 2 cups of 60 degree water to boil in a heiny pot are from between 5-6 1/2 minutes. Total burn time anywhere between 6/12 to 8 minutes. The stove burns hot and there are a few things I just learned about it today. I am going to post more burn tests this weekend after I have had a bit of time to play some more.
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God…I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles." --- Anne Frank

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:32 pm

GrinchMT wrote:That was one of my goals... a solid stove that anyone can build, without the use of a lathe, or "hot roll crimps". If you look at the stove carefully, I think you will see there are a load of possibilities for improvement or enhancement. I have a couple of ideas already but I need some of that fiberglass wick... As much as I hate that stuff ;)

I'll post my goings-on with this thing as I work with it. I believe in sharing for the betterment of the community so i hope some good ideas are born from this stove.

--GrinchMT

Depending upon jet placement - 1 ounce fuel for 2 cups of 60 degree water to boil in a heiny pot are from between 5-6 1/2 minutes. Total burn time anywhere between 6/12 to 8 minutes. The stove burns hot and there are a few things I just learned about it today. I am going to post more burn tests this weekend after I have had a bit of time to play some more.

Well if i warms up out so i can work in shop i do it. dam a storm coming for week end.

Allen

Postby Allen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:32 pm

Thanks GrinchMT,

Nice Videos!

I think stoves made from Aluminum bottles are the wave of the future.
Soda cans seem to be getting thinner and thinner.
Thinks for sharing!

Cheers!
Allen

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:38 am

[quote="GrinchMT"] I think you will see there are a load of possibilities for improvement or enhancement. I have a couple of ideas already but I need some of that fiberglass wick... As much as I hate that stuff ;)

--GrinchMTquote]

Fiberglass cloth/wick is is definately an enhancer material. It's spreading throughout the DIY'ers. Even that guy that makes pressurized pop can stoves has chosen to move towards the use of wickatized stoves.

We've learned alot from you in a short span of time, thanks alot for sharing. You've got some great ideas :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Other sources out there for bottles right now are those collecable Mountain Dew aluminum bottles. Unfortunately I have to dump those when I use them too. Diabetes doesn't like either, lol! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Mack

Postby Mack » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:40 am

I'm new to this forum, so I'll just quickly introduce myself. I'm Mack and have been an avid CDT and PCT hiker for the past 11 years. I also am very interested in stove design and manufacture a few available to the public on eBay, and via word of mouth. I have had the opportunity to talk to a few of you, well mostly just Tony B. and am very impressed with how cool and sharing everyone is. So greetings to all!

On to this stove: I build this stove today and followed your instructions grinch pretty much to the T, except on jet size I went with 1/16" holes , and used a Mountain Dew bottle that PureMahem was talking about instead. Overall, I think its a nice stove! After getting over the ounce sticker shock of 1.45oz (the one I built) I fired it up. It took a bit longer to prime..almost 1minute 15seconds as opposed to 15-20 of most pressurized sideburners with wicks or primer pans...but when it was going It was nice. It makes a pleasurable bubbling sound when the alcohols at rolling boil in the pit of the stove. But when I put my modified 22oz IMUSA aluminum pot on which I use for most testing, I got a nice rolling boil of 16oz of cold tap water in about 4min 50 seconds in my garage at 1093' above sea level. Impressed with my crude version of your stove (my first attempt was not pretty to say the least) I expected the 1oz of SLX denatured alcohol to peter out on that pot in about 8 minutes. But when it kept going to 10+minutes my jaw dropped. Usually no stoves on that pot are that efficient when the water hits boil. So, give yourself a pat on the back. I think if you could make it lighter, and reduce the prime time it would be a homerun. On another note, what made you go with 1/8" jetting? I guess I'm just real partial to 1/16" or smaller. Well take care, and I'll be tinkering with some other versions of this in the future I imagine.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:43 am

Mack wrote:I'm new to this forum, so I'll just quickly introduce myself. I'm Mack and have been an avid CDT and PCT hiker for the past 11 years. I also am very interested in stove design and manufacture a few available to the public on eBay, and via word of mouth. I have had the opportunity to talk to a few of you, well mostly just Tony B. and am very impressed with how cool and sharing everyone is. So greetings to all!

On to this stove: I build this stove today and followed your instructions grinch pretty much to the T, except on jet size I went with 1/16" holes , and used a Mountain Dew bottle that PureMahem was talking about instead. Overall, I think its a nice stove! After getting over the ounce sticker shock of 1.45oz (the one I built) I fired it up. It took a bit longer to prime..almost 1minute 15seconds as opposed to 15-20 of most pressurized sideburners with wicks or primer pans...but when it was going It was nice. It makes a pleasurable bubbling sound when the alcohols at rolling boil in the pit of the stove. But when I put my modified 22oz IMUSA aluminum pot on which I use for most testing, I got a nice rolling boil of 16oz of cold tap water in about 4min 50 seconds in my garage at 1093' above sea level. Impressed with my crude version of your stove (my first attempt was not pretty to say the least) I expected the 1oz of SLX denatured alcohol to peter out on that pot in about 8 minutes. But when it kept going to 10+minutes my jaw dropped. Usually no stoves on that pot are that efficient when the water hits boil. So, give yourself a pat on the back. I think if you could make it lighter, and reduce the prime time it would be a homerun. On another note, what made you go with 1/8" jetting? I guess I'm just real partial to 1/16" or smaller. Well take care, and I'll be tinkering with some other versions of this in the future I imagine.

Now be careful about making. stoves it full up you shop then you have to put a add on. good job for your first one. :lol: :lol: Also keep a fire extinguisher or water well kill alcohol and a bucket that turn over it for a flaming fire or baking soda.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:31 am

Mack wrote:I'm new to this forum, so I'll just quickly introduce myself. I'm Mack and have been an avid CDT and PCT hiker for the past 11 years. I also am very interested in stove design and manufacture a few available to the public on eBay, and via word of mouth. I have had the opportunity to talk to a few of you, well mostly just Tony B. and am very impressed with how cool and sharing everyone is. So greetings to all!

Welcome to our family Mack. Thanks for sharing your test results with Grinches stove. I'm impressed with it the same as you are. His design is unique, I like it.

When you get time, start a new thread and show us the design of the stove you make available on ebay.

Tony B. has a world of knowledge about stoves, great guy to talk to. I think he's great at fishing also :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”