How to build a Grinch Stove - Revised

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Allen

Re: How to build a Grinch Stove - Revised

Postby Allen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi Mack!

Thanks for the report!

Cheers!
Allen

GrinchMT

Postby GrinchMT » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:29 am

Hi Mack,

No matter what I have done, I cannot get a prime any less than a minute. BUT, I found it is possible to light the priming fluid and set the pot on top of the stove. This will take the prime to around 1:45 -2:00 but it doesn't waste heat. It will also allow you to get 2 cups of 60 degree water to a boil on only 3/4 ounce instead of one ounce.

Additionally, I made a version of this stove that will consistently boil 4 cups of water in 7 minutes.

I am working now on a consistent set of measurements for folks not interested in playing, as well as a couple of more videos explaining this stove better. As Zelph said, thsi stove is very unique and I stumbled upon its design by continuously building other types. I like it too. It's strong, and performs very consistently.

Thanks for letting me know how it went.

--GrinchMT
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God…I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles." --- Anne Frank

Mack

Postby Mack » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:57 pm

Hey Grinch,

I know you hate wicks, however..you might want to try it with some kevlar wick from flame aeterna (sp?) that Jason Klass recommends on his site. I like the Kevlar, cause I can secure it on like he shows by just tying it real tightly, and It doesn't wear out quickly at all. In fact, It will not burn when there is no fuel on it. That might speed up the priming process. In fact, I'm going to build a smaller version of your stove right now, and throw some kevlar wick on there to test it out. I'll post pics and my results. -Mack

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”