Winterized Alcohol Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Ordin Aryguy

Winterized Alcohol Stove

Postby Ordin Aryguy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:06 pm

First post here... Pretty cool place!

FWIW, I really like soda can stoves. They're cheap, incredibly reliable, and light. However, since moving to a locale well above the Mason-Dixon Line, I've come to realize that alcohol tends to want to argue a bit about lighting when the mercury is low in the bulb. So, this is my answer to that...

Soda can stoves need to get warm enough for the alcohol to vaporize before they'll change over to "jet burners." Considering that aluminum is a tremendous conductor of heat, low temperatures tend to keep the stove from changing over to jet-mode. All that'll burn is the fuel in the center of the stove, and even that's a beast to get lit initially.

When it's cold out we wrap ourselves in insulation. "Why not wrap the stove in it, too?", I thought...

Two weekends ago a bunch of those nutty people I hang out with and myself went camping. The temps were well below zero, -8F one morning. This stove heated water for coffee, oatmeal, noodle lunches and melted a heap of snow with ne'er an argument. It worked absolutely flawlessly.

One little thing I did learn over that weekend, quite by accident, is to spill a small amount of alcohol into the insulation and light it, too. This really gets the fuel in the stove vaporizing quick with heat sources in both the core of the stove and around its' perimeter.

Ordin
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Skidsteer

Re: Winterized Alcohol Stove

Postby Skidsteer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:10 pm

A wick of some sort definitely solves cold weather problems.

Welcome to bplite, Ordin!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Tony

Postby Tony » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi Ordin,

Great idea, what does your stove weigh.

I like this site too.

Tony

Ordin Aryguy

Postby Ordin Aryguy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Tony wrote:Hi Ordin,

Great idea, what does your stove weigh.

I like this site too.

Tony

Not really sure of its' weight, Tony. More than a few feathers, but far less the MSR's that my friends carry. ;)

Best part of building the insulating section is that it was a good reason to buy a couple "oil can" sized beers.

Ordin
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Allen

Postby Allen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:14 am

Hello and Welcome Ordin!

I like Your Idea of using the Fosters cans to insulate and prime the Pepsi can stove. :)
I have a Fosters can stove that should work like that too. I'll try it. That way I'll have a back up
stove also. :) Thanks for sharing Your idea. The Fosters can adds a lot of stabality too, because of
it's width. It also helps to keep Your fuel bottle in Your shirt pocket, to keep it warmer. :)

Cheers!

russb

Postby russb » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:47 am

Welcome Ordin. Saw your idea on the other forum right after your trip.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:52 am

:D Hi Ordin, welcome !!!!!

Once you passed the Mason Dixon Line you kept on goin and goin and goin till you reached the Canadian border(International Falls MN, coldest spot in the U.S. :D -8 is brutal!!!!

I like the height of your stove. I looks on the short side. I think that's good. The closer you get the fuel to the rim of the burner the better. The less distance the heat has to travel to get to the fuel, the faster the fuel will vaporize and pressurize in the chamber to push the vapors out the jets and so on.

Next time anyone makes a pop can stove make it as short an you can. Make it so that max fuel capacity will be 3/4 oz (20ml) of fuel. Just enough to boil 2 cups. Make it so the diameter of the inside hole is as large as you can get it. The more lineal inches of rim surface being touched by the flames the better.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:58 am

zelph wrote::D Hi Ordin, welcome !!!!!

Once you passed the Mason Dixon Line you kept on goin and goin and goin till you reached the Canadian border(International Falls MN, coldest spot in the U.S. :D -8 is brutal!!!!

I like the height of your stove. I looks on the short side. I think that's good. The closer you get the fuel to the rim of the burner the better. The less distance the heat has to travel to get to the fuel, the faster the fuel will vaporize and pressurize in the chamber to push the vapors out the jets and so on.

Next time anyone makes a pop can stove make it as short an you can. Make it so that max fuel capacity will be 3/4 oz (20ml) of fuel. Just enough to boil 2 cups. Make it so the diameter of the inside hole is as large as you can get it. The more lineal inches of rim surface being touched by the flames the better.

Ok is there a deadline
:lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:05 am

Ok is there a deadline

The sooner the better so you can test it in frigid temps without an insulated shell or primer pan. We have another cold snap coming from canada(thanks Darin and SamH) Going down to -0- here tonight.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Postby Allen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:09 pm

I've used an open top side burner pepsi type stove made from V8 cans in +8 deg. F weather before.
It worked fine. No external primer pans, and the alcohol was cold too. Maybe it worked because of the small size?

Cheers!

P.S. That stove holds 1 oz. of alcohol

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”