Winterized Alcohol Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Tony

Re: Winterized Alcohol Stove

Postby Tony » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi Ordin,

Best part of building the insulating section is that it was a good reason to buy a couple "oil can" sized beers.

It has been a cool 30C (86F) here in Canberra OZ this week and the large Heiny and Foster's cans are not available here so I have to drink normal size beer (just have to drink twice as many), but things are starting to cool off last week we had cool snap which put some snow on our mountains, the days are getting shorter, the leaves are dropping.

I have no idea what it would be like to live in very cold conditions with deep snow, Canberra is the coldest city in Australia but it only gets down to about -8C (17.6)F in winter on rare occasions and it snows about once a decade.

I would love down a oil can size tinny (OZ for can of beer, small bottle are called stubbies and large bottle are called long necks) in a northern winter, maybe one day.

Tony

Allen

Postby Allen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi Tony,

Canberra sounds like a nice place to spend Winter!

Cheers!

Ordin Aryguy

Postby Ordin Aryguy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:51 pm

russb wrote:Welcome Ordin. Saw your idea on the other forum right after your trip.

Thanks for the welcome, Russ! Plans are quickly coming together for another trip to the Northwoods again next weekend, with the same crew of nutcases, to go do the things we do.

Looking at the weather forecast for next weekend, the temps shouldn't be quite as cold as the previous trip, but it aint quite summer time in the Adirondacks either. I'll think it's best to leave the winterizer kit on the stove for just a little while longer. ;)

Ordin
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Ordin Aryguy

Postby Ordin Aryguy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:00 pm

zelph wrote:
Once you passed the Mason Dixon Line you kept on goin and goin and goin till you reached the Canadian border(International Falls MN, coldest spot in the U.S. :D -8 is brutal!!!!

LOL, International Falls is even colder than here usually. Winter there is 11 months, 29 days. Summer is some random day in July, I think. We at least get a few weeks of it here in the middle of NY. :)

Thanks for the "low stove philosophy." It's just mere coincidence that my stove is not very tall as I just wanted it to fit inside my cookpot when I'm not using it, and it's a rather short cookpot. Dumb luck is better than none sometimes.

Ordin
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Mags

Postby Mags » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:17 pm

I have a tentative plan to "thru-ski" Vermont's Catamount trail next year.

A winterized alcohol stove would be a great thing to take vs. a Simmer Lite.

Thanks for sharing!
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”