zelph's thinest stove challenge

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
oops56

Re: zelph's thinest stove challenge

Postby oops56 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:37 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
Well i could not find riderunner post on the wok on e bay so its here

Looks good Oops. You got a great deal on that puppy! :D Let me know how it works for you and lets not forget my finders fee...... :lol: Are you going to try and cook with Alky or do you plan on using a gas stove?

Its been a rough day i got the wife new computer had no operating system just a bear bones all had to do put in xp that no see it it ask for a boot disk. now what do i do i put in 98 than did a boot then xp. My wirless hook up took the longest get it right and loose it got it now she happly. p. s. me two. more wood came must stack it soon. Wok on hold i think i got a alcohol burner that do 20 or 30 min try that first the one i did with the bake.
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:39 am

ok.
just packing without screen actually burned 1:30 longer than the ones with screen (on 1/2oz MH). but the last couple minutes were not really what you would call usefull flame. i might be tempted to try one with fiberglass in place of the screen, but then, i'm not one to step on others' intelectual property.

You could try a slightly larger screen. I think the great thing about this site is that we share ideas. I don't think using anothers idea is a wrong thing as long as you are not trying to profit from the same item. could you see living in a world with no variety? one car, one cola, etc. It is good to build on each others ideas.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:26 am

Ridgerunner wrote:You could try a slightly larger screen.

i'm useing the largest s/s screen i have on-hand. i have some 1/4x1/4 welded wire mess but it's galvanised. i'll fire up the forge later and burn the galvanizing off some and give it a try. (i've got another new one to show as soon as i do one more test burn.)

DarenN.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DarenN

Re: zelph's thinnest stove challenge

Postby DarenN » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:03 am

here's another one.
made from energy drink cans. 15/16" tall. max capacity 1oz. weighs 12 grams (0.4oz).
3/4oz methyl hydrate boils 2 cups water in 9 minutes. flame out at 13:10.
1oz boil time 8:50. burn time 18 minutes
1/2 oz no boil. burn time 9:35.
top of burner to pot= 1 1/16"

flattenned bottom

DarenN......

Allen

Postby Allen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:20 am

That little stove looks great. :)

You should package it with Your 3 piece folding windscreen, sized for the Heineken can, and sell it.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:02 pm

Now add a mono-pod potstand directly in the center of it. You can doit!!!!!! :)

Great looking stoves Daren
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:24 pm

zelph wrote:Now add a mono-pod potstand directly in the center of it. You can doit!!!!!! :)

Great looking stoves Daren

thanks Zelph!

here's yet another, but i give up! no matter what i try i can't get a half ounce boil. someone said the supercat would do it and i got one from Zelph. not with methyl hydrate. if my math is right it should work but i can't get under about 50% efficiencey, wick or no. i've just plain run out of ideas.

DarenN.......

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:42 pm

zelph wrote:Now add a mono-pod potstand directly in the center of it. You can doit!!!!!! :)

you're right, i could do it, but i won't. ;)
i try to keep my potstands out of the flame as much as possible. i once melted a 1/16" s/s wire potstand over a tweeked pepsi-g. the stand melted and collapsed and knocked over the burner. everthing just went wrong and the pot went one dirction and the burner flipped the other way. the one and only time i have ever had to use a fire extinguisher in my kitchen. :oops:
DarenN.......

Allen

Postby Allen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:20 pm

Tried adding some 91% Isopropyl yet? about 30-50% mixed with the Methanol might help.

If the drug stores don't have it, Heet Gas line antifreeze in the Red bottle is Isoprypyl

Check the potential BTU's on any online chart to see what I'm talking about.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:01 pm

DarenN wrote:

you're right, i could do it, but i won't. ;)
i try to keep my potstands out of the flame as much as possible. i once melted a 1/16" s/s wire potstand over a tweeked pepsi-g. the stand melted and collapsed and knocked over the burner. everthing just went wrong and the pot went one dirction and the burner flipped the other way. the one and only time i have ever had to use a fire extinguisher in my kitchen. :oops:
DarenN.......

I had the pot and stand tipover action this past week :lol: No problem with the flames though, I was using the StarLyte with an uneven potstand. The safety of the fuel being contained is the highpoint of the StarLyte, being lightweight is secondary.

Potstand height is critical.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”