zelph's thinest stove challenge

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Pure Mahem

Re: zelph's thinnest stove challenge

Postby Pure Mahem » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:45 pm

DarenN wrote:flattenned bottom

DarenN......

What if you made the top and bottom look like this and then cut out a hole in the center for the screen. Possibly use a larger can so that your wire stand would sit in the groove created by the flattening yet still go up to provide good support for the pot. If using a Heinipot the circle that the pot stand sets in might be the same diameter as the ring on the bottom of the pot. If not using heini then just go big to add stability to the flat bottom pot. Full of ideas I tell ya, just full of em. Just haven't had the motivation to put tool to alluminum lately! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

DarenN

Re: zelph's thinest stove challenge

Postby DarenN » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:43 pm

well brothers, i got a 1/2oz boil!! :o but oohhh did i ever cheat! :twisted: 6:40 to bring 2cups to a full boil. what a mess i have to clean up!! :lol: my favorite test pot is black as the space between the stars.

oh yeah! almost forgot!! :oops:

the fuel was pure ACETONE!! 8-) 8-)

DarenN........

ps: i also tried Xylene (i think. might have been laquer thinner. unmarked can in my shop). DON'T!!!!! it made me run faster than i like to. :roll:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DarenN

Re: zelph's thinnest stove challenge

Postby DarenN » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:What if you made the top and bottom look like this and then cut out a hole in the center for the screen. Possibly use a larger can so that your wire stand would sit in the groove created by the flattening yet still go up to provide good support for the pot. If using a Heinipot the circle that the pot stand sets in might be the same diameter as the ring on the bottom of the pot. If not using heini then just go big to add stability to the flat bottom pot. Full of ideas I tell ya, just full of em. Just haven't had the motivation to put tool to alluminum lately! :mrgreen:

some good ideas there. run with it!! :)
to flatten the bottom i first push it out with a 3/4" dowel, as close to center as you can eyeball. then i wack it once with a hammer on a 1 1/4" mandrel, again as close to on center as you can eyeball. 1 1/4" round fits just nice to stretch out the dome of the bottom of the can. the same mandrel works on soda/beer cans and the small energy drink cans.
DarenN.......

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:16 pm

This is the Pad Stove. It's pretty thin :D

Thick as 2 pennies.

Holds 17ml (3/4 oz.) of fuel. Will test it tomorrow maybe to see it will boil 2 cups.

No acetone for me Brother Daren :twisted:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:14 pm

HAH!!
tried it.
no joy. :(

what did you use as wicking pads? i used paper towel. been thinking about trying fiberglass.

edit:::: pot size is critical. must be the size of the burner or just slightly smaller. too big a pot cuts off too much air. (the screen is a good thought).

DarenN....

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:01 am

DarenN wrote:HAH!!
tried it.
no joy. :(

what did you use as wicking pads? i used paper towel. been thinking about trying fiberglass.

edit:::: pot size is critical. must be the size of the burner or just slightly smaller. too big a pot cuts off too much air. (the screen is a good thought).

DarenN....

I used coarse woven fiberglass between stainless steel mesh. I used what I thought was enough to hold 1/2 ounce of fuel.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:26 am

fiberglass cloth between really fine s/s screen. same as Zelph's, two pennies thick (these were Canadian pennies, so that's about 2 and a half cents U.S. :lol: :lol: 8-) good natured little jab. ;) oh come on! like y'all haven't made jokes about the Canuck Buck for the last thirty years! :D )
here's the burner pad in a tray made from the bottom of a coffee can;
3/4oz of fuel will stay in the pad when held on edge. it boiled 2c in 8 minutes, flickered, and went out.
fresh wick, first burn orange flame.
on the second burn i left the pad in the coffee can/tray and poured a full ounce on it. it boiled 2c in 5:30 and burned for 5 more minutes. was a much nicer flame, too. blue and climbing over half way up the sides of the pot.
over to you, Zelph:
DarenN......

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:20 pm

Allen wrote:I like how You flattened the bottom. I has to be stronger than using an unopened top,
because of the scoring for the "pop top".

i can't stomach those energy drinks so i've been relying on others for my supply of cans. i ran out of cans so i stopped at the store and bought a couple. damn! those things are pricey!! :o
anyway; the point is: the bottom and the top have a different profile. if we use the top of the can as the bottom of a burner we will actually be reducing the capacity, compared to using two can bottoms with the bottom flattenned.
i do see a possibility for useing the top of the can for the top of the burner. this (if it works) will cut the cost of a burner in half and yet keep the highest possible capacity. i'll let you know how it works out.

Allen;
i haven't tried mixed fuels yet, for two reasons.
1) i wouldn't be messing around with mixing fuels on the trail (or water). would you?
2) i can't get 91% iso, and can't find Heet of any kind. like Crystal hot sauce. can't get it in Canadialand. i have to get an American freind to smuggle it in.

DarenN.......

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:54 pm

one can energy drink burner. came out about 1" tall.

i screwed this one up so i didn't bother to polish it. lets just call it "The Pink". it won't have a long life anyways so i won't have to live with it. :lol:

2c water
3/4oz MH
1" betwixt the burner and the pot
boil at 7:00
out at 12:30

perhaps the taller lip of the top heats up better and is the reason for the quicker boil time.

DarenN........

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:30 pm

DarenN wrote:one can energy drink burner. came out about 1" tall.

i screwed this one up so i didn't bother to polish it. lets just call it "The Pink". it won't have a long life anyways so i won't have to live with it. :lol:

2c water
3/4oz MH
1" betwixt the burner and the pot
boil at 7:00
out at 12:30

perhaps the taller lip of the top heats up better and is the reason for the quicker boil time.

DarenN........

what are you using fo a wick inside can is the top fiberglass cloth
Man play with fire man get burnt

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”