zelph's thinest stove challenge

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Allen

Re: zelph's thinest stove challenge

Postby Allen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:38 pm

DarenN wrote:
Allen wrote:I like how You flattened the bottom. I has to be stronger than using an unopened top,
because of the scoring for the "pop top".

i can't stomach those energy drinks so i've been relying on others for my supply of cans. i ran out of cans so i stopped at the store and bought a couple. damn! those things are pricey!! :o
anyway; the point is: the bottom and the top have a different profile. if we use the top of the can as the bottom of a burner we will actually be reducing the capacity, compared to using two can bottoms with the bottom flattenned.
i do see a possibility for useing the top of the can for the top of the burner. this (if it works) will cut the cost of a burner in half and yet keep the highest possible capacity. i'll let you know how it works out.

Allen;
i haven't tried mixed fuels yet, for two reasons.
1) i wouldn't be messing around with mixing fuels on the trail (or water). would you?
2) i can't get 91% iso, and can't find Heet of any kind. like Crystal hot sauce. can't get it in Canadialand. i have to get an American freind to smuggle it in.

DarenN.......

DarenN,

I like Your new stove :)

Energy drinks are pricy here too. There is a growing trend for companys to use Pepsi can diameter
sizes but a taller 16 oz size. Can You get V8 or Cambell's Tomato juice?
It has the same size diameter as a small energy drink.
You can get a 6 pack for the price of 1 Red Bull can. I've been testing V8 cans all winter, with
no Ill effects. The 2 stoves used in My joke "Cold Man" stove were from V8 cans, and one, or both,
were used daily throughout the Winter.

I'm not a thru-hiker, so I carry My fuel from home, and often mix it.

Since You can't get ISO, I wan't mention it again :)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:39 pm

oops56 wrote:what are you using fo a wick inside can is the top fiberglass cloth

the packing in the can is ceramic fiber insulation.
the screen on top is stainless steel.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Allen wrote:
DarenN,

I like Your new stove :)

Energy drinks are pricy here too. There is a growing trend for companys to use Pepsi can diameter
sizes but a taller 16 oz size. Can You get V8 or Cambell's Tomato juice?
It has the same size diameter as a small energy drink.
You can get a 6 pack for the price of 1 Red Bull can. I've been testing V8 cans all winter, with
no Ill effects. The 2 stoves used in My joke "Cold Man" stove were from V8 cans, and one, or both,
were used daily throughout the Winter.

I'm not a thru-hiker, so I carry My fuel from home, and often mix it.

Since You can't get ISO, I wan't mention it again :)

thanks Allen;

our V-8 and tomato juice cans are either the same as a pop can or, if they are smaller, are tin. one thing i did see today in the store was the screw-top Rock Star can. Hhhhhhmmmmmm.........food for thought.
another thing we can't get is the aluminum beer bottles. the ones that Grinch uses. we do have an airosol no-stick cooking spray in an aluminum can that is similar. i've bought a couple but they last a long time. i will be patient.
DarenN........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Allen

Postby Allen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:17 pm

DarenN wrote:
Allen wrote:

thanks Allen;

our V-8 and tomato juice cans are either the same as a pop can or, if they are smaller, are tin. one thing i did see today in the store was the screw-top Rock Star can. Hhhhhhmmmmmm.........food for thought.
another thing we can't get is the aluminum beer bottles. the ones that Grinch uses. we do have an airosol no-stick cooking spray in an aluminum can that is similar. i've bought a couple but they last a long time. i will be patient.
DarenN........

I think the Rockstar can top is simular to our Jolt Cola Top:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolt_Cola

I used one of them to make a canteen from a Heineken can.
I thank they have potential for a great wick stove.
I've been trying to make a Trangia clone from them. I don't think the hole in the lid is wide enough
for the fire to get enouth air.

Can You get the new Aluminum Mountain Dew Bottles? It would be a shame to cut them up,
but I'm sure someone will.

http://www.bevnet.com/news/2007/05-15-2 ... uminum.asp

The neck is shorter than beer bottles, and the concave bottom is deeper.

oops56

Jolt Stove i did it

Postby oops56 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:33 am

Ok this is a Pôrto type its got 4 tiki wicks and a tube down the middle to fill .The wicks are below the top so you can screw on cap a save fuel for next time For my firs run i put one oz. to test more work to be down not much and time and boil time later just a good start

Man play with fire man get burnt

Allen

Re: Jolt Stove i did it

Postby Allen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:12 am

oops56 wrote:Ok this is a Pôrto type its got 4 tiki wicks and a tube down the middle to fill .The wicks are below the top so you can screw on cap a save fuel for next time For my firs run i put one oz. to test more work to be down not much and time and boil time later just a good start

That looks great oops56 :)

A resealable Trangia type stove with wicks. a WikiTrangia

Very clever :)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:44 pm

Can You get the new Aluminum Mountain Dew Bottles? It would be a shame to cut them up,

Neat looking bottles. Never saw them on the market. According to that post, they were to be released May-Oct. 2007 :(
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Allen

Postby Allen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

Neat looking bottles. Never saw them on the market. According to that post, they were to be released May-Oct. 2007 :(

They're only in convience stores, not grocery stores :(

They retail for 2.69 but I found some for 2.00

I thought they would make a good canteen :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:53 pm

I updated some info related to the pad stove in a thread in zelphs stove works.

The original challenge was to make Pop Can Type stoves thin with large diameter centers to speed up bloom time. Let's get back on track :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”