Morphed Hybrid Side burner

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Morphed Hybrid Side burner

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:38 pm

This is a stove that morphed out of the "Hybrid Sideburner. I call it the "Wasp"

It has a built in stainless steel potstand. The cat food was emptied through the hole you see. The can is still factory sealed on it's bottom. The contents is sucked out through a straw, meow!!!!!!!!burp!!! :o

It has a half inch hole in the center. The wicks are adjustable but found that they burn up(become brittle and easily crack when exposed to oxygen over the entire wick.. The wicks and center hole provide instant heat to pot of water. Wicks will not deteriorate in flattened state.

Has 3 ounce fuel capacity. Does not require water jacket to cool fuel resevoir.

Tests are ongoing.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Re: Morphed Hybrid Side burner

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks zelph :)

I'll try that. Is it 1/8" wick?

I suppose a potted meat container would work?

I like the 3 oz fuel capacity.

Cheers!

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:12 pm

It's 1/16 dia. wick.

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:36 pm

zelph wrote:It's 1/16 dia. wick.

Good,

I have some of that :)

Thanks

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:47 am

Nice Zelph. I just added a copper wick post. One nice thing about copper wicks is that they don't break or burn out. They do collect carbon and they don't pull as strong so the stove height has to be shallow. It is also hard to find wide wick and wider is better. I used desolder wick 0.1" or wider. Just be sure to soak in alcohol before 1st use to remove solder resin or it will gunk up your stove.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:15 pm

DaddyMnM wrote:Nice Zelph. I just added a copper wick post. One nice thing about copper wicks is that they don't break or burn out. They do collect carbon and they don't pull as strong so the stove height has to be shallow. It is also hard to find wide wick and wider is better. I used desolder wick 0.1" or wider. Just be sure to soak in alcohol before 1st use to remove solder resin or it will gunk up your stove.

Have not picked up any of the copper wick yet, but will to do some tests.

Here is what the latest change made this stove look like. Now this is the stove that I tried raising the wicks up in an arch like the blackfly. That's when I found out that wicks deteriorate quickly when used in that fashion. Yes, don't let your stove run out of fuel :lol: This one has a large central fill hole, just dump the fuel in and light. Has built-in stainless steel potstand and has a fuel capacity of 3 ounces. The wicks on this stove are fiberglass and will not deteriorate like the blackfly's.

I have to laugh out loud, I watched a youtube video called sputnik something or other about how wicks will crack break etc. if the blackfly runs out of fuel. The stove and wicks are said to be good. Just stay by your stove and don't let it run out of fuel. Oh!!! and don't put your windscreen all the way around your stove or it will cause the stove to melt down one of it's components. The stove takes anywhere from 10 to 13 min to get a boil indoors, what's it going to take outside now that your windscreen has to be situated as stated in the video.

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 am

Zelph,
The copper might have trouble pulling good flow in that configuration. I don't know, I haven't tried anything like it yet. Worth a shot though. Also, if you can't find wide wick, you can take two thinner ones, hold the ends in one hand and twist the two together to make a bigger one. Just don't forget to soak and clean in alcohol before first burn or the resin they add to make solder flow can gunk things up.
Cheers!

Allen

Postby Allen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:18 am

I like the changes You've made :)

The videos You mentioned were made to address heat problems some people were having by using
My Cotton wicks too high. Basic Nubie issues. :) I've never heard of any parts melting.
I can regularly achive 8 Min boils with 2 cups water. Remember the BF2 was made to Simmer and
Bake too. I used it to bake the Pizza I posted the other day.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii14 ... /Pizza.jpg

So It never was intended to be the fastest boiling stove.
I've been trying to get people to try this small windscreen I made:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii14 ... screen.jpg

Cheers! :)

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:43 am

Allen,
I haven't tried the windscreen yet, but I haven't needed one in the garage and I haven't been out on the trail since I bought it. I think your windscreen will work fine in most cases, but my favorite hikes are sometimes windy (like the pacific coast) and I don't think it will be enough there.

Zelph,
I agree with Allen on this one. The BF2 is a good stove, not perfect, but good. It has room for improvement and has to be tended more than I like. But, the concept of a low to medium heat works well for cooking in pot, baking, or if you just want to use as little fuel as possible. I think the slower boil time is an acceptable compromise. It is not a heat water as fast as you can design.

I like the idea of trying to solve this issue without a water jacket heat sink. But I haven't come up with any good ideas on this. Someone suggested designing the windscreen with a reflector above the fuel tank, but below the flame with an air gap in between. I think that is a promising idea but haven't had time to try it yet. It's not high on my todo list right now.

Cheers!

Allen

Postby Allen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:15 am

DaddyMnM wrote:Allen,
I haven't tried the windscreen yet, but I haven't needed one in the garage and I haven't been out on the trail since I bought it. I think your windscreen will work fine in most cases, but my favorite hikes are sometimes windy (like the pacific coast) and I don't think it will be enough there.

Cheers!

The small windscreen works fine if You keep it turned into the wind. It is not enough in very cold weather,
or if the wind is multidirectional. I always carry some extra foil when I hike, just in case. :)

Cheers!

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”