Morphed Hybrid Side burner

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
zelph

Re: Morphed Hybrid Side burner

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:52 pm

Allen wrote: I've never heard of any parts melting.
I can regularly achive 8 Min boils with 2 cups water. Remember the BF2 was made to Simmer and
Bake too. I used it to bake the Pizza I posted the other day.
So It never was intended to be the fastest boiling stove.
Cheers! :)

I should have said : when it overheats it starts bending out the base of the cap. The cap being the part that has the wicks sticking out of it. I speculate the cap would melt at the point where the standoffs are fastened to the cap if the stove were to continue to burn with the windscreen positioned in a normal fashion. The stove is very fragile from the very beginning. The wicks will melt if burned in the arched position. As you can see in the attached photos, the original stove has the arched wicks and the stove in the video shows them being cut apart. He went to school on those that purchased the stove up to the point of the video addressing the problems of over heating and wicks burning/melting if allowed to run out of fuel. His video is a follow up to address his design flaws. The cap distorts, so he adds a water jacket. The water in the jacket causes the fuel chamber to float so he adds magnets to hold it down. He adds aluminum rods to support the pot and then has to include an additional leg because they are prone to be lost. (in one of his videos he drops one of the legs on 2 different occasions as he removes them from under the cap of the stove prior to assembly.) Because the wicks would become brittle he has to add additional wicks and also sells them seperately just in case you need more. How much does all these parts weigh? was it 64 grams? For a stove that simmers? What is the cost of the original, $30.00 dollars? He went to school on those that puchased one of the stoves. I

I hope that his follow up video will be a heads-up to all that might be contemplating buying one of his stoves. Buyers beware!!!!!!

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Yes the price is hi but i got one the yarn works better pus i got some extra caps i made one just two wicks 1/8 works ok like you said to many parts. I think he release it to soon should have give some out for field testing and the price should be cut in half.So thats what i think plus i made one before him just did not tell ever one cause its not the best. my 2 cents and change
Man play with fire man get burnt

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:37 pm

zelph wrote:
I can regularly achive 8 Min boils with 2 cups water. Remember the BF2 was made to Simmer and

I should have said : when it overheats it starts bending out the base of the cap. The cap being the part that has the wicks sticking out of it. I speculate the cap would melt at the point where the standoffs are fastened to the cap if the stove were to continue to burn with the windscreen positioned in a normal fashion. The stove is very fragile from the very beginning. The wicks will melt if burned in the arched position. As you can see in the attached photos, the original stove has the arched wicks and the stove in the video shows them being cut apart. He went to school on those that purchased the stove up to the point of the video addressing the problems of over heating and wicks burning/melting if allowed to run out of fuel. His video is a follow up to address his design flaws. The cap distorts, so he adds a water jacket. The water in the jacket causes the fuel chamber to float so he adds magnets to hold it down. He adds aluminum rods to support the pot and then has to include an additional leg because they are prone to be lost. (in one of his videos he drops one of the legs on 2 different occasions as he removes them from under the cap of the stove prior to assembly.) Because the wicks would become brittle he has to add additional wicks and also sells them seperately just in case you need more. How much does all these parts weigh? was it 64 grams? For a stove that simmers? What is the cost of the original, $30.00 dollars? He went to school on those that puchased one of the stoves. I

I hope that his follow up video will be a heads-up to all that might be contemplating buying one of his stoves. Buyers beware!!!!!!

Zelph.
I've read Hundreds and hundreds of Your posts here. In fact over a hundred have probably been to me :)
I have ALWAYS found Your posts to be fair, logical, and open minded, Except in reguard to John Austin
and His Stoves. I have tested this stove more than every Human alive combined. When properly used,
not only does it not Melt, It doesn't get warm to the touch. You can't totally wrap it in a foil wind screen.
You can't burn it without alcohol in the fuel chamber. What stove do You know that will work without
fuel in the chamber. You can hold this stove in Your hand while using it. How many stoves of any
type allow that. Here's a pic: http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii14 ... screen.jpg

This a Great stove. I love it and will advocate it's use forever. :)

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:48 pm

zelph wrote:

I forgot to add, Where is this stove fragle? I've droped it, knocked it over, left it outside
many times in below freezing temps, with water in the waterjacket. It's still like new.
It costs 25.00 Money well spent. I have chosen to use cotton wicks instead of fiberglass but
that was My idea and my choice. I still have all three of the pot stand legs too. Haven't lost a one.
This whole stove is made from aluminum bottles. It's plenty tough.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:30 pm

Allen, my comments were intended as a heads -up to the wick problem. I brought up the subject to members of the Stove Of The Month Club in our member's forum. I also brought it up somewhere else in some thread and someone said it would open up a can of worms. It's only meant to be a heads-up.

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:33 pm

zelph wrote:Allen, my comments were intended as a heads -up to the wick problem. I brought up the subject to members of the Stove Of The Month Club in our member's forum. I also brought it up somewhere else in some thread and someone said it would open up a can of worms. It's only meant to be a heads-up.

Please don't let Your Hatred for Tinny affect Your otherwise flawless judgement. This is a fine stove :)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 pm

I've been trying to get people to try this small windscreen I made:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii14 ... screen.jpg

Allen, Great idea for a windscreen. Do you just pull the wicks up for a larger flame?
I'm now sure I'm sold on the idea of a water jacket.(extra weight) These aluminum stoves cool down very quickly and what point is there in holding your stove while it is cooking? I also would wonder on how rigid the prongs are that the wicks come out of. Tinny makes quality products so it probably is not an issue. Stoves are too easy and fun to make in that I can't see myself ever shelling out $25 for one when I can make a facsimile in the "Lab". :ugeek: :lol: Might not be as pretty but it's all really about functionality. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:39 pm

Allen wrote:
zelph wrote:Allen, my comments were intended as a heads -up to the wick problem. I brought up the subject to members of the Stove Of The Month Club in our member's forum. I also brought it up somewhere else in some thread and someone said it would open up a can of worms. It's only meant to be a heads-up.

Please don't let Your Hatred for Tinny affect Your otherwise flawless judgement. This is a fine stove :)

No hate on my part.

Tiny's motto is: Making hate into money is what I do--it ain't pretty but it's true.---tiny---MBDC

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:42 pm

zelph wrote:
Allen wrote:

No hate on my part.

Tiny's motto is: Making hate into money is what I do--it ain't pretty but it's true.---tiny---MBDC

Great zelph :)

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:51 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
I've been trying to get people to try this small windscreen I made:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii14 ... screen.jpg

Allen, Great idea for a windscreen. Do you just pull the wicks up for a larger flame?
I'm now sure I'm sold on the idea of a water jacket.(extra weight) These aluminum stoves cool down very quickly and what point is there in holding your stove while it is cooking? I also would wonder on how rigid the prongs are that the wicks come out of. Tinny makes quality products so it probably is not an issue. Stoves are too easy and fun to make in that I can't see myself ever shelling out $25 for one when I can make a facsimile in the "Lab". :ugeek: :lol: Might not be as pretty but it's all really about functionality. ;)

Thanks for the comments on the small windscreen Ridgerunner :)
Yes, You pull the wicks up or down to effect cooking temp.
I don't usually hold the stove while cooking, but it shows that the stove stays cool.
The Wick holders are Threaded Rivets. They are pretty strong.
I made a facimille of this stove too.and posted pics of it the other day. :)
I made mine without threaded rivets and it works fine. It's pretty too :lol: :lol:

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”