Alcohol Powered Grill Prototype

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Allen

Re: Alcohol Powered Grill Prototype

Postby Allen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Very, very light. I tied to use it as a stand and it melted.

I did the same thing with that stuff , Skids. Live and learn.

Allen, Are those lava rock chips under the grate? You could also use a wood burning stove as a fuel source. Neat idea! ;)

Thanks Ridgerunner :)

Yes, they are lava rocks, I been wanting to try grilling with them, since I starting
using them for baking with alcohol.

My next step will be to totally lose the pan, and enclose the lava rocks in a metal cage,
like the ones used in suit birdfeeders. then a small foil wind screen and foil cover will be added. :)

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:56 pm

Watching with interest to see where you take your idea. So far it's interesting and thought provoking. I'm trying to stay focused on a different project :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Postby Allen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:27 pm

zelph wrote:Watching with interest to see where you take your idea. So far it's interesting and thought provoking. I'm trying to stay focused on a different project :D

Thanks zelph :)

I'll try to keep this grill light enough to be of use. It's the Lava rocks that will make it possible.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:37 am

My next step will be to totally lose the pan, and enclose the lava rocks in a metal cage,
like the ones used in suit birdfeeders. then a small foil wind screen and foil cover will be added.

Great ideas---keep pushing the envelope ! ;)

I am a little curious of the interest in a grill. Other than a piece of frozen steak or hot dog, what would you use it for after the first day that you wouldn't use your stove for? I am interested in the baking with lava rock idea, also. Tell me more! :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

russb

Postby russb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:46 am

Was thinking about your idea for a bit... Since the purpose of lava rocks is to absorb heat and then radiate it for even heating, could this not be done with a single round of steel (many small holes drilled in it perhaps)? Physically this is no different than the heat diffuser pan being used in the bundt-pan baking thread. The central idea of absorbing direct heat (which is to hot and to focused) and radiating it at a lower more evened temperature for controlled cooking, whether it be baking or grilling. Just a thought.

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:35 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
like the ones used in suit birdfeeders. then a small foil wind screen and foil cover will be added.

Great ideas---keep pushing the envelope ! ;)

I am a little curious of the interest in a grill. Other than a piece of frozen steak or hot dog, what would you use it for after the first day that you wouldn't use your stove for? I am interested in the baking with lava rock idea, also. Tell me more! :D

The functionality of a grill would be limited after the first day. I used Lava rocks to difuse heat
when I baked the pizza I posted for oops56 the other day. I'm hoping the small wire package of
Lava rocks could have a duel use. Grilling and baking. pieces of foil will complete the oven/grill.
Wouldn't You get a small kick out of seeing everyones face when You're eating a Steak in an AT
shelter, when everyone else is eating Ramen Noodles :twisted:

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:46 am

russb wrote:Was thinking about your idea for a bit... Since the purpose of lava rocks is to absorb heat and then radiate it for even heating, could this not be done with a single round of steel (many small holes drilled in it perhaps)? Physically this is no different than the heat diffuser pan being used in the bundt-pan baking thread. The central idea of absorbing direct heat (which is to hot and to focused) and radiating it at a lower more evened temperature for controlled cooking, whether it be baking or grilling. Just a thought.

Thanks Russ :) I've read (maybe on this blog) that people are cutting the rim off the strainer in the old
K-Mart type Grease Pot and inserting it on the bottom of the pot upside down, for baking.
I'll think about Your single round of steal idea, and how to impliment it.
After lava rocks have been used a couple of times in grilling, they absorb drippings
and impart flavor to meat. I'm hoping that a freezer bag will keep my pack clean. :)

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:16 am

This is not light weight but a fire brick the half kind cut in small sq. well hold heat for a long time.Years ago i would put some on the wood stove to get hot then wrap in a towel put in bed with me works most of the night.
Man play with fire man get burnt

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:40 pm

oops56 wrote:This is not light weight but a fire brick the half kind cut in small sq. well hold heat for a long time.Years ago i would put some on the wood stove to get hot then wrap in a towel put in bed with me works most of the night.

Thanks oops56 :)

I'll try fire brick too.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:13 pm

Use some alcohol to start the charcoal to burning :)

Or you can collect dry twigs as you hike and burn real wood :)

Then have your steak while others have Ramen

Image only four pieces of charcoal

Image No holes in mesh
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”