Flaming Pillars

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DaddyMnM

Flaming Pillars

Postby DaddyMnM » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:02 am

I had an idea for a stove for a while now that I finally got a chance to prototype. It's a bit difficult to build and my skills are not as refined as those applied to many of designs I've seen in this blog. It's a rough prototype, lines are not straight and it could definitely use some improvements, but it was fun to build. I am not sure it will prove to be a practical design, but here it is...

I was trying to solve two issues with wicked stoves.

1) Keep heat out of stove to prevent alcohol vaporization (Avoid a hot inefficient pressurized burn) without using a water jacket or other heat sink.
2) Attempt to reduce wick burnout when alcohol runs low. In some wick stove designs that use fiberglass wick, the wicks glow red hot when the alcohol runs low and the glass fibers can fuse ending or reducing the useful life of the wick.

I decided to place 1/8" fiberglass wicks in aluminum tubing with vents hoping to limit the oxygen exposure as the alcohol runs low. The tubes are multiple purpose. They are intended to protect the wick, keep heat out of the stove body, and serve a pot stand. The stove can be disassembled and reassembled.

(Links updated 8-Aug-2008)
http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj18 ... =slideshow

I got 2 cups of water to boil in 10min 50secs. I filled the stove to capacity but I did not measure the alcohol volume. I got a 14 1/2 minute burn. The stove did start to pressurize at the 14 minute mark, but it was nearly out of fuel. I could still see some red in the wick as the alcohol ran low but not as much as in my other wick stove.

The stove body is a diet Coke can. I pressed three round flat spots with a 3/8" socket extender and added large inverted rivet nuts. I drilled out the rivet nut threads so that the aluminum tubing would slide in. I cut out vents for the wick flame using a Dremel tool. In addition, I should have cut slots in the bottom of the tubes so that they would allow space for the wick and provide a more stable pot stand. I didn't think of that until now.

Enjoy!
Last edited by DaddyMnM on Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allen

Re: Flaming Pillars

Postby Allen » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:18 am

That's a great idea. You've integrated the wicks into the potstand. I'm pretty sure I've never seen that before.
Great Job! :)

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:51 am

Thanks Allen. It's getting pretty hard to come up with something completely unique these days. The recent interest in the pressurized coil stoves on youtube got me thinking about how I could use tubing.

Mags

Postby Mags » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:18 pm

Would a Flaming Pillar stove be called the Exodus Stove? With Passover coming up...this stove me esp, be useful. :mrgreen:
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:07 pm

Very clever design and your goals were accomplished.

The boil time is in line with Tony's time frame of being more efficient.

Very nice work and design. I like it!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:21 pm

Neat idea. Something a little different . I like your flame pattern.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks guys. I threw this together pretty quick to test the wick performance. I'll play with it a bit more and try and understand it more. Hopefully I can find the time to do a better build later.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”