boil-and-simmer stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

boil-and-simmer stove

Postby DarenN » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:33 pm

this is one that i built a while ago that works really well, at least i think so. :)
the nice thing about it is that it will simmer without any additional junk or loose parts. just the potstand and the burner.

on the potstand 1oz of fuel boils two cups of water in just over five minutes.

remove the potstand and place the pot on the burner. effectively converting it to a side-burner. burning slower and simmering nicely for another 6-10 minutes (depending on the side holes).

i found that by varying the number and size of the side holes i can change how hot it simmers without seriously effecting the boil time.

DarenN......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Re: boil-and-simmer stove

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:13 pm

Very nice Daren.

Just a note on holes. I was able to have the Supercat simmer by closing of the bottom row of holes with 1" aluminum tape just to see what would happen. It went into a simmer mode. Just pour in fuel and let it prime for 15 sec. or so and put the pot on. This was done awhile back and have mentioned it on other sites. No one seemed to be interested in it though.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Postby Allen » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:32 pm

Nice one DarenN! :)

Thanks for the Pics!

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:13 pm

thanks Allen, and you're welcome. most of the ideas i come up with are just going further with someone elses ideas. that's what i like about this community; the sharing of ideas. i do my best to give back at least a little.

Zelph;
i know what you mean. it seems a lot of stove builders are only interested in the boil. seems like a job half done to me. alcohol stoves can be made to 'cook', not just boil water. with my background being kayaking i have the luxury of the 17 foot floating wooden backpack so that i can carry all sorts of stuff that a hiker would not normally carry. like food. you wouldn't believe some of the dinners we've had at our 'gatherings'. :D
here's an adjustable simmerring cap i made for a pepsi-g years ago.

Tony

Postby Tony » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:28 pm

Hi Daren,

Nice work, thanks for sharing it.

I am in the process of designing a simmering ring for the volcano stove, you have given me some ideas.

And I do agree that most are only interested in boiling, most of my bushwalking cooking requires simmering that is why I usually take a canister stove.

I had to sell my sea kayak as I got sea sick once too often, got too dangerous when off the coast, but I loved it anyway.

Tony

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi Daren,
Nice work. Simple solutions are usually the best and most reliable. Converting from pot stand to side burner for heat control makes sense.
Thanks for sharing.

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:18 pm

Daren,
That pot stand looks shiny. Is it stainless steel? I haven't found a local supply, but I do venture up to Vancouver, BC from time to time. If it's easy to get there in small quantities I'd like to know.
Thanks.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:11 pm

yes, it's stainless. all my potstands are made from it. i'm in the process of switch to a 1" mesh for some of them. a bit of a weight saving.
if you are in Vancouver look up either "Metalmart" or "the Metal Supermarket". they have a few locations throughout the lower mainland, and should be able to help. Western Canadian Screen is another option but they probably won't sell in small quanities.
DarenN.....

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:58 pm

DarenN wrote:yes, it's stainless. all my potstands are made from it. i'm in the process of switch to a 1" mesh for some of them. a bit of a weight saving.
if you are in Vancouver look up either "Metalmart" or "the Metal Supermarket". they have a few locations throughout the lower mainland, and should be able to help. Western Canadian Screen is another option but they probably won't sell in small quanities.
DarenN.....

Trade some mesh for some denatured. He could probably ship a gallon ups ground if properly packaged. or drive up and drop it off. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:42 pm

zelph wrote:Trade some mesh for some denatured. He could probably ship a gallon ups ground if properly packaged. or drive up and drop it off. :mrgreen:

Oh Boy! what a can of worms that is!

it's like, i'd get a gallon of ethanol based fuel and i'd love it so much and i'd get hooked on it and then my supply would run out and i'd go into detoxification syndrome and i'd have to find something to replace it and i'd turn to harder stuff like white gas and the next thing you know i'd end up with a motor home with a propane fridge and a stove with an oven.
OH, the HORROR!! ;)

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”