Some help with stove bottom

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
Tony

Some help with stove bottom

Postby Tony » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:28 pm

Hi all,

things have been quiet on the forum

I have been playing around with redesigning my volcano stove and I am having problems producing a flat bottom from the base of a small drink can.

I need a flat bottom to increase the volume and to allow the heat transfer pin to heat the last of the alcohol. I have posted some pictures of the not very nice bottom and how I make to cone top but I am struggling with ideas for a flat bottom.

As I am relatively new to making these small drink can alcohol stoves, I am wondering if any one on the forum has any ideas or could point me to how others have solved this problem.

Thanks

Tony

Ugly bottom
bottom before pressing
tools to make cone
pressing cone
finished cone
finished stove

DaddyMnM

Re: Some help with stove bottom

Postby DaddyMnM » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 pm

Tony,
You have tried one of the two things I have seen, pressing the bottom to make space. The second thing I have seen is to use the top of the can. Pierce a hole in the side of a can and empty contents into a cup. Then carefully remove pull tab by turning 180 degrees, gently lift and nip with dikes.
Cheers!

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:48 pm

To press it out try using a large round item like a Dowel Check out Darren's post he just did it on one of his stove bottoms to increase the fuel cappacity. might try a piece of steal rod look for a chunk that is the diameter of impression you want to make. or you can improvise using a capped piece of heavy pipe. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:07 pm

Pure Mahem has it right Tony. i'm using a piece of 1 1/4" aluminum roundstock as a mandrel to flatten my can bottoms.
go through this thread for pics of a couple of my flattenned can bottoms:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=669&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

i don't even jig them up, just eyball 'em and whack the mandrel with a hammer.

DarenN.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Tony

Postby Tony » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:52 pm

Thanks DaddyMnM,Pure Mahem and Daren,

Using unopened cans is a good idea I am currently using empty cans from my local recycling depot, I do have some unopened can tops at home will try, thanks.

Thanks Daren for the link to your bottom flattening posting I some how missed it before, nice work ,I will try giving a the mandrel a whack with hammer.

I am going bush this weekend, I will let you know how my bottom flattening is going next week.

thanks

Tony

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:46 pm

Tony,
I didn't really look at your pictures before. Looks like you have access to a lathe and already have some quality dies. Can't you mill the other end of the existing dies and put a sleeve over the cone press so they work two ways? One to make the cone and one to press the fuel cup? Also, I have made a pretty good impression in small cans using the biggest socket from my tool box and a hammer just eyeballing it like Darren says.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:21 am

Tony, I really like your pressed "volcano" stove top. Are there weep holes along the lower channel to fill fuel ? Good idea. :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:08 am

Cut a full can in half and use the unopened top of the can as suggested by DaddyMnM.

Smashing the bottoms will cause a small fracture in the folds of the aluminum. The fracture will only leak when you least expect it. When you're in the bush. ;)

The leaking occured on the bench for me :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”