Failure turned into a Success!!!

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

Re: Failure!

Postby DarenN » Thu May 08, 2008 9:11 pm

bored out the holes to .046 and trimmed off the liner. i'm happy to report that it works much better but it still goes into a minimal flame mode that lasts for a long time and creates very little heat. i know! i know! boil and simmer. i've got a way better idea for a simmer ring but i want to get the burner working properly first. by 'properly', i mean like a Trangia. i've got parts ready to take to work with me tomorrow for a new one a bit smaller. the first one is 3oz capacity, while second one will be 2oz and will have a lighter wick. i think that the heavier wick in the first version is holding onto the fuel to tightly. ;)

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:29 pm

DarenN wrote:bored out the holes to .046 and trimmed off the liner. i'm happy to report that it works much better but it still goes into a minimal flame mode that lasts for a long time and creates very little heat. i know! i know! boil and simmer. i've got a way better idea for a simmer ring but i want to get the burner working properly first. by 'properly', i mean like a Trangia. i've got parts ready to take to work with me tomorrow for a new one a bit smaller. the first one is 3oz capacity, while second one will be 2oz and will have a lighter wick. i think that the heavier wick in the first version is holding onto the fuel to tightly. ;)

Daren.......

Cut a door in it burn twigs :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 08, 2008 9:31 pm

to fit the lid into the catfood tin i took the can to work with me and ran it through a machine called a "swedger". as the can turned it was streched to the correct size to accept the outer diameter of the lid.

Never heard of such a machine but I really don't have alot of machinist knowledge. The Jolt lid will almost fit with a little pressure. I need a swedger! :lol: Maybe a little love tap over a billiard ball would work as a "swedger" ! ;) :lol:

I wonder how difficult it would be to drill the jet ports directly through the ring on top of the Jolt neck ? They would have to be tiny and maybe angled slightly outward.
You would be able to use the original seal if the holes were directly on top and the jets would blume quicker.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 08, 2008 9:33 pm

DarenN wrote:thanks, i'll try .042 or whatever i've got that's close.
everthing is JB'd. to fit the lid into the catfood tin i took the can to work with me and ran it through a machine called a "swedger". as the can turned it was streched to the correct size to accept the outer diameter of the lid.

A swedger????? Everybody should be lucky enough to have access to a a'Swedger"!!!!!!! You lucky paddler :mrgreen:

Put water in the stove, put the cap on, turn it upside down and check for leaks around the seam where the top joins to the bottom tin. Murphy's law say you got a leak :mrgreen:

If it has a leak, burn twigs :geek:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Put water in the stove, put the cap on, turn it upside down and check for leaks around the seam where the top joins to the bottom tin. Murphy's law say you got a leak

Such a pessimist !!! Carry on Daren, we'll get this baby burning before you know it.
Besides, it is going to leak thru the jet ports unless you laid a bead of permatex inside the lid. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 08, 2008 9:50 pm

coat the inside of the lid with gasket compound. put lid on loosely and let it cure. the saran will peal of, and you have a formed in place gasket.

I was thinking his formed in place gasket covered the jets. If it didn't, redoit, or else burn twigs in it :mrgreen:

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu May 08, 2008 10:08 pm

twigs schmigs! we done need no steenkeen tweegs! 8-)

order of priorities:
make it burn.
make it seal.
make it snuff.
make it simmer.

the last three are easy compared to the first.

any pile of properly placed rocks will burn twigs, and cook, and you don't have to carry anything to make it work. if you can't find rocks, leave Florida! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Daren........

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 08, 2008 10:30 pm

See if you can redirect the jets to push some heat toward the rounded top of the burner. Put a deflector ring around the ring of holes like the Penny Stove has. How close to your pot is the stove? Move it closer to get heat back to the stove. Put some steeks around the base and put some fire toum :geek:

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu May 08, 2008 10:38 pm

zelph wrote: How close to your pot is the stove?

Put some steeks around the base and put some fire toum :geek:

i haven't tried a pot over it yet. still trying to make it act like T.

what? like, burn it at the steek? :mrgreen:

Daren........

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 08, 2008 10:42 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote: How close to your pot is the stove?

Put some steeks around the base and put some fire toum :geek:

i haven't tried a pot over it yet. still trying to make it act like T.

what? like, burn it at the steek? :mrgreen:

Daren........

Right!!!! :mrgreen:

Try bending the holes like oops did on one of his stoves, made the jets go upwards more than out.

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”