Failure turned into a Success!!!

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
DarenN

Re: Failure!

Postby DarenN » Thu May 08, 2008 10:51 pm

zelph wrote: Try bending the holes like oops did on one of his stoves, made the jets go upwards more than out.

uhmmm.......why?
there's already a fire in the middle of the burner. i was thinking to spread the flame over the bottom of the pot (like the T does).

Oops' side burner is a different type of stove, not really a good basis for comparison.

i'm still leaning towards blaming the big fat wick. i have some lighter stuff to try on the second burner.

a couple drops of fuel in the 'primer ring' makes it bloom like yesterday! :D

Daren..........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Thu May 08, 2008 11:20 pm

Darren,
Is the wick needed? Can't the vapors flow freely without wick? If wick is needed, maybe cotton would work better. It isn't exposed directly to flame, so it shouldn't be consumed. Maybe you could try a few wick configurations using flue tape to join lid and cat can until you're ready for final configuration.
Happy testing.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:26 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote: Try bending the holes like oops did on one of his stoves, made the jets go upwards more than out.

uhmmm.......why?
there's already a fire in the middle of the burner. i was thinking to spread the flame over the bottom of the pot (like the T does).

Oops' side burner is a different type of stove, not really a good basis for comparison.

i'm still leaning towards blaming the big fat wick. i have some lighter stuff to try on the second burner.

Daren..........

the stove not staying hot enuff to vapor put a penny in the hole
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu May 08, 2008 11:44 pm

a couple drops of fuel in the 'primer ring' makes it bloom like yesterday!

That's what I'm talk'n about !! ;) :lol:

Does your inner wall seal good at the bottom, other than a couple weep notches ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri May 09, 2008 8:19 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Does your inner wall seal good at the bottom, other than a couple weep notches ?

yes.
(ps. i ordered your avatar. it's in the mail. :D )

it is my understanding that the wick slows the release of fuel so it doesn't eat up alcohol like a pepsi-g.

Daren.......

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 09, 2008 10:54 am

DarenN wrote:

uhmmm.......why?

Daren..........

It was to direct the flames to the rounded top to add heat to the stove to keep the fuel boiling.

Now today I see that you have a gross size wick in it. The wick is holding back the fuel. No fuel in the outer walled area to vaporize. Yank the wick out and try it. Once it's blossoming, put a pot over it.

Edited to add: Where is the wick located, in the wall or in the center hole?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri May 09, 2008 7:49 pm

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote: Where is the wick located, in the wall or in the center hole?

the wick is wrapped around the outside of the liner, just like the pics you showed of the raping of the Trangia burner.

swedger ate my cat can this morning. :( i'll have to find something else to do for the weekend.

Daren......

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 09, 2008 11:29 pm

Bad swedger,bad swedger. Sounds terrible Daren. :cry:

Fat wick must be the problem or leaky weld. I found that my WBS has a leak on the rolled seam Yuk.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Sat May 10, 2008 12:38 am

Hey Daren,
I agree it's worth trying to remove the wick. I also think the volume on the fuel chamber may be high relative to the volume on the cylinder in the main fuel port. You might try cutting the cat can down a bit.
Cheers!

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat May 10, 2008 7:47 am

zelph wrote: I found that my WBS has a leak on the rolled seam Yuk.

that leak can be fixed. i have access to a well-equiped sheet metal shop, so i would do it with a machine designed for such things. alternatively, you could do it with a light hammer and a "stake" or anvil. fit the doubled over lip of the stove over the anvil and gently tap on it as you turn the stove, pinching the layers of the lip together tighter. "gently" is the key here. too much hammerring and you could crack the aluminum right where it's rolled over.
or just smear JB around the inside and call it a day. ;)

Daren......

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”