Failure turned into a Success!!!

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Failure!

Postby DarenN » Sat May 10, 2008 8:03 am

DaddyMnM wrote:Hey Daren,
I also think the volume on the fuel chamber may be high relative to the volume on the cylinder in the main fuel port. You might try cutting the cat can down a bit.
Cheers!


that was my thought exactly! :)

i went back to the Trangia and took a bunch of measurements. useing the inside diameter of the liner as the driver, i scaled everything else. the fuel cup should be 2.25oz capacity for the Jolgia. it should have 18 jets, as opposed to the 16 that i used.
i was trying to swedge out a cut down can when it got chewed up. i'll try again on monday.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15820
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Failure!

Postby zelph » Sat May 10, 2008 12:51 pm

I'll put a ballpeen to WBS to seal it like you suggest Daren, thanks!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Failure!

Postby DarenN » Sat May 10, 2008 10:20 pm

well, i chopped it down to 2oz max capacity, made a new liner, eliminated the wick, and fired it up.

it's still a failure.

Daren..........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15820
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Failure!

Postby zelph » Sat May 10, 2008 10:40 pm

DarenN wrote:well, i chopped it down to 2oz max capacity, made a new liner, eliminated the wick, and fired it up.

it's still a failure.

Daren..........


Give us your best guess. What could it be?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Failure!

Postby DarenN » Sun May 11, 2008 7:39 am

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:well, i chopped it down to 2oz max capacity, made a new liner, eliminated the wick, and fired it up.

it's still a failure.

Daren..........


Give us your best guess. What could it be?


about the only thing i can think of is the width of the wall of the chimney. if it's too narrow it could be restricting the flow of fuel gases to the jets. that's a wild guess. i stumped.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Failure!

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 11, 2008 8:11 am

about the only thing i can think of is the width of the wall of the chimney. if it's too narrow it could be restricting the flow of fuel gases to the jets. that's a wild guess. i stumped.


Try wrapping the wall with a single layer of thin wicking material so that it goes right up to the jets and has excess at the bottom to absorb alky. :idea:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Failure!

Postby DarenN » Sun May 11, 2008 10:51 am

success!!
Image

i can't believe how stupid........ ok; maybe i can. ;)
bad fuel! i had been using racecar meth for testing. i woke up at 3:30 this morning realizing the error. the give-away? sound. the alcohol was crackling and popping as it burned. must be water in the fuel. so i did three test burns with fresh methyl hydrate, under a pot this time. here's the best i got:
with a burner to pot space of 1" (pic is 3/4)
5"round aluminum pot w/lid
2cups water at room temp.
18ml M/H (Neufeld Principle actually states 19)
bloom (NO primer) 1:35
boil 9:45
flame out 11:30

this testing was done on the burner with no wick and 2oz max cap.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: Failure!

Postby oops56 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:44 am

DarenN wrote:success!!
Image

i can't believe how stupid........ ok; maybe i can. ;)
bad fuel! i had been using racecar meth for testing. i woke up at 3:30 this morning realizing the error. the give-away? sound. the alcohol was crackling and popping as it burned. must be water in the fuel. so i did three test burns with fresh methyl hydrate, under a pot this time. here's the best i got:
with a burner to pot space of 1" (pic is 3/4)
5"round aluminum pot w/lid
2cups water at room temp.
18ml M/H (Neufeld Principle actually states 19)
bloom (NO primer) 1:35
boil 9:45
flame out 11:30

this testing was done on the burner with no wick and 2oz max cap.

Daren......


Dam its my turn but first taking a brake to much yard work later tonight
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Failure!

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Good job Daren. I knew it could be done ;) I would bet the times can be improved with some tinkering. Obviously, the bloom time can be improved with a few drops in the built in primer pan. Maybe increase the number of jets to 24. Once you are satisfied with the efficiency, you will have to let us know how the home made gasket seals.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Failure!

Postby DarenN » Sun May 11, 2008 4:33 pm

thanks Ridgerunner;
a lot of thanks for this burner have to go to you. the Sgt. York burner was a real inspiration.

just wait till you see the integrated potstand and the simmer cap! :D

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast


Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests