Fourth of July Stoves

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
seudo_411

Re: Fourth of July Stoves

Postby seudo_411 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:02 pm

If you want to be very 007, top secret , make the mixture and dissolve it in water, boiling water, then place tissue paper, 2-3 ply, on a baking tray and pour the mixture over it, allow it to dry in the sun, takes about 2-4 days, depending on exposure and relative humidity, it really works wonders for starting a fire... or just being silly, If you can acquire Iodine crystals I can teach you to make a "windproof" matchless ignition system that won't give in after 15 clicks...
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:41 am

I think he needs a cold one after this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQSgiYnDtd0
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:30 pm

Because the KNO3 is a potent oxidizer, and the sugar provides the fuel, C6-H12-O6 it doesn't need oxygen to burn... we made another batch later the evening, the total weight was about 500g, 75% KNO3 and 25% C6-H12-O6...

seudo_411, I'm not sure what your chemical is that you are mixing with surgar but I can remember as a young juvenile lad, mixing SaltPeter and surgar at a 1:1 ratio to make one heck of a smoke bomb. ;) AND if you put it in a piece of one inch copper tubing with the ends folded over and a M-80 fuse in the side........someone could get terminated. I remember a piece of metal whizzing by my head, even though I was behind a tree. That was the last homemade fireworks that I made :oops:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:41 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Because the KNO3 is a potent oxidizer, and the sugar provides the fuel, C6-H12-O6 it doesn't need oxygen to burn... we made another batch later the evening, the total weight was about 500g, 75% KNO3 and 25% C6-H12-O6...

seudo_411, I'm not sure what your chemical is that you are mixing with surgar but I can remember as a young juvenile lad, mixing SaltPeter and surgar at a 1:1 ratio to make one heck of a smoke bomb. ;) AND if you put it in a piece of one inch copper tubing with the ends folded over and a M-80 fuse in the side........someone could get terminated. I remember a piece of metal whizzing by my head, even though I was behind a tree. That was the last homemade fireworks that I made :oops:

i looked it up on wikipedia. kno3 is saltpeter. c6-h12-o6 is glucose (sugar).
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:15 am

DarenN wrote:i looked it up on wikipedia. kno3 is saltpeter. c6-h12-o6 is glucose (sugar).

thats correct Darren, its also known as Potassium Nitrate, sound familiar well it should, because Ammonium Nitrate is also used as fertilizer, and if anyone remembers the Oklahoma City bombings, thats what was used, however instead of sugar I think Timothy used diesel/Gasoline.
if you mix the smoke mixture with waterless hand cleanser you can make some spy paste, just rub it on and ignite... :twisted:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Saltpeter is what the army put in mashed potatos supposedly to prevent erectile missfires :lol: :lol: Old wives tale I'm sure :D

Saltpeter was also used as a tree stump remover. Disolve 2 pounds in water to make a saturated solution. Pour over dried out tree stump and let dry completely. Once the stump has dried lite the stump by some means and the dried wood will smolder and be consumed. Soak cotton string in the saturated solution and then let dry. Makes nice wick material for DIY fireworks. ;)

Saltpeter is formed naturally in some caves here in Illinois.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

seudo_411

Postby seudo_411 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:10 pm

zelph wrote:Saltpeter is what the army put in mashed potatos supposedly to prevent erectile missfires :lol: :lol: Old wives tale I'm sure :D

Saltpeter was also used as a tree stump remover. Disolve 2 pounds in water to make a saturated solution. Pour over dried out tree stump and let dry completely. Once the stump has dried lite the stump by some means and the dried wood will smolder and be consumed. Soak cotton string in the saturated solution and then let dry. Makes nice wick material for DIY fireworks. ;)

Saltpeter is formed naturally in some caves here in Illinois.

are you sure it was KNO3, that the army used, because i heard a similar story about copper sulfate, blue crystals, the army people used to call it stay-soft... :shock:

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:14 pm

zelph wrote:Saltpeter is what the army put in mashed potatos supposedly to prevent erectile missfires :lol: :lol: Old wives tale I'm sure :D

i heard the same Old Wives Tale while a guest of the government way back in the '70s.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:08 pm

i heard a similar story about copper sulfate, blue crystals, the army people used to call it stay-soft...

:D :lol:

I would think that anything copper would put you entire life On-Hold :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”