24.8g Liquid Feed Canister Stove

Post your new stove ideas here! All stoves welcome.
samh

24.8g Liquid Feed Canister Stove

Postby samh » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:58 am

I didn't make this but I'm pretty sure it will pique the interest of the stovies here on this forum. It is a very well-crafted device.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... 748#104748

DarenN

Re: 24.8g Liquid Feed Canister Stove

Postby DarenN » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:10 am

that is very cool!! :mrgreen:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:17 am

Can't get through to it this morning, will try later.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:39 am

zelph wrote:Can't get through to it this morning, will try later.

hhmmm. it worked earlier. not working now. HHQ is still down too.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:49 am

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:Can't get through to it this morning, will try later.

hhmmm. it worked earlier. not working now. HHQ is still down too.

Thanks Daren!!! :)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:04 pm

link working again! :)

Tony

Postby Tony » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:02 pm

I would like to thank Sam for his post, I had planned to post it on bplite today.

SUL 24.8g liquid feed canister stove.

This is a little stove that I made last week, it is a liquid feed canister stove with a total weight of 24.8 grams (0.875 ounces) and that includes burner/ pre-heat tube (6.4g), valve (7.5g), pot stand and windscreen (7.1g), fuel line (1.9g), pie tray for top windscreen (1.9g).

The stove is designed to fit into a BPL Ti 550 pot. The complete stove and pot/bag weighs in at 84.4g

The pot stand design is based on designs that I have seen used with alcohol stoves and is made from bird wire, the base is from the bottom of a Fancy feast cat food can, the windshield around the pot stand is from a beer can and the top windshield is from a pie tray. The burner was machined from a round piece of aluminium bar, the burner plate from Ti and the pre-heat tubes is made from 1.6mm OD hard drawn Stainless steel tubing with a fitting made from brass to screw in to the burner, the valve is adapted from my 14.2g canister stove and fits on a STD canister but I am planning to make a SUL valve to use with Coleman Max canisters.

Initial performance is promising I did two tests, one slow 12 minutes and one fast one 5m 30s, the slow test used 5.5g of fuel to raise 500ml of water 80ºC and the fast test used 6.2g to raise 500ml of water 80ºC.

Future improvements: I hope to reduce weight a bit further maybe get under 20g, Pie tray is a bit flimsy, will work on that later, as mentioned above a I plan to make a valve to use Coleman Max canisters.

The stove has been designed for the BPL.com 550 Ti pot which holds 500 ml of water I recently tested it with a 1l pot on it while it held the weight ok it will probable need to be made a bit stronger and therefore heavier for long term use with the larger pot but I expect this to only be 1-2g extra.

I am planning on using this stove as my main stove for all seasons for which I normally use a 1l pot.

Below are some pictures

Tony

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:47 pm

Really working out well according to preliminary tests. Fantastic machining Tony.

with a fitting made from brass to screw in to the burner, the valve is adapted from my 14.2g canister stove and fits on a STD canister

It lookslike the brass screw is what fastens the burner to the base plate and maintains the burner in an upright position.. I saw the one photo and paid more attention to it's design.

It's amazing that you can machine your own valves!!!! That's fantastic!!!!!

Let me try and remember how you light it :roll:

The canister is upright when you light it and when it heats up the preheat tube you invert the canister to get the liquid feed mode to goin which vaporizes the liquid to a gas ?????

Does the gas burn only on the outside holes of the Ti burner plate?

Does the burner plate have anything to do with vaporizing fuel that comes to the burner or is it totaly done in the preheat tube?

Is the black tubing heavier than the clear?

Thanks for sharing you newest "Fly Weight" design. I envision your next reduced weight model to be flown in on the back of a trained dragonfly. :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:39 pm

As usual, VERY nice craftsmanship, Tony. To have your own fabricating tools is awesome. Thanks for sharing your latest creation.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Tony

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:10 am

The canister is upright when you light it and when it heats up the preheat tube you invert the canister to get the liquid feed mode to goin which vaporizes the liquid to a gas ?????

The stove is started with the canister upside down or in the case of using a Coleman Max canister on its side, in both cases it gives liquid feed from the start, when the flame is lit sometimes there is a small flareup but the pre-heat tube soon heats up and vaporizes the fuel.

I am not sure about this, sometimes the flame appears to burn through all holes and sometimes in does not, I think it depends on if I have the valve open too much.

No it is all done in the pre-heat tube.

Is the black tubing heavier than the clear?

Yes but not much the black tubing weight is 1.9g and the clear is about 1.3g, the clear tubing has a higher temperature rating and can handle colder temperatures but it has a larger inside diameter which means more fuel left in the tube when stove is turned off.

I envision your next reduced weight model to be flown in on the back of a trained dragonfly

That is a good idea. BTW the stove is down to 23.5g

Tony

Return to “Homemade Stove Ideas”